Chapter 19

My eyes flutters open as sunlight hits my closed eyelid. I tried to block the sunlight with my right hand, but I couldn't move it. I slowly opened my eyes and turned to my right to find Karla sleeping on my arm. Seeing her peaceful sleeping face made me smile, and her warmth seeped into my heart.

"I suppose this is a good way to wake up."

I tried to move her as gently as possible, but she ended up waking up anyway. She rubbed her eyes, and blinked a few times. I put a hand on her head and ruffled her already messy hair.

"Did I wake you?"

Karla smiled sweetly and shook her head. Putting both hands on my cheeks, she leaned in for a kiss. It was but a small peck, but it was more than enough to clear my head. I put a hand on one of hers and returned her smile.

"If you are still sleepy, then go to bed again. You are a princess, and I should not be saying that, but we did go to sleep pretty late last night."

Karla covered half of her face with a blanket, but I can still see her eyes and cheeks. Her cheeks were painted crimson red, reminding me of how adorable she really is. I kissed her forehead and gently pushed her back to bed.

"I'll tell the others you are not feeling well. I'll come wake you up for lunch."

Still hiding her face, Karla nodded meekly. I gave her another kiss on the forehead, before putting my clothes on and going out of the room. As I walked to the dining room, I spotted Shirula leaning against the window. She had a blank look on her face and she would occasionally yawn.

"Shirula?"

She almost jumped when I called out to her. Turning to me, an awkward smile started to spread across her face.

"H-Hey, Darone..."

She looked out the window to avoid my eyes as she scratched her cheeks. I approached Shirula and put a hand on her forehead worriedly.

"Are you okay? You are not sick are you?"

Shirula took a step back before shaking her head vigorously.

"No, no! I'm okay, really!"

Shirula scratched her cheeks a few times before pointing to her bedroom.

"I-I think I'll sleep for a little bit longer... Wake me up in the afternoon, okay?"

I can only nod at her words. 

Shirula, the one who always wakes up first because she's accustomed to her work as an innkeeper, is going to sleep in?

I was about to call out to her, to ask whether she's alright or she was just holding the pain to not make me worry, but she already retreated into her room.

"Well, she can move that fast, so I guess she's alright..."

Still, I couldn't help but be worried for her health. When I was wondering whether I should check up on her, even if it means I have to intrude into her room, Carmeila came out of her room.

"Ah, Carmeila. I am so glad to see you."

Carmeila reacted the same way as Shirula when I first called out to her. With a somewhat nervous smile, and a deep blush on her face, she nodded.

"Is there something I can do for you?"

Her voice shook a little as she spoke. I nodded and turned to Shirula's room.

"Shirula doesn't seem to be doing well. Can I ask you to watch over her? I'll bring your food to the room, so can you do this for me?"

Carmeila nodded with a sweet smile, but for some reason, she's avoiding my eyes.