Chapter 4

It has been a month since I took those two under my wing. Their growth as a soldier was satisfactory, and they absorbed everything I taught them relatively quickly. So now, with a small satchel filled with gold coins, I decided to visit the wandering Cat-folk merchant to buy them some proper equipment, not something I made myself.

"Even though the armor you made was perfect..."

I turned my head toward the complaining voice. I rubbed Sharna's hair roughly and smiled.

"Be that as it may, I myself need a few things from the merchant. If after looking through their wares you can still say that, then I will not buy anything for the two of you."

Sharna put both of her hands on the place where I just rustled. Arriving at the village's center, I saw a group of Cat-folk unloading their wares from their carriages. Considering what they brought with them, it's a wonder how three carriages managed to carry them all. A Cat-folk noticed me coming, and greeted me with a smile.

"I'm sorry, we're still preparing. Can you come back later?"

I smiled and waved my arm.

"Don't mind us, we're here to take a look around. We'll conduct business when you are ready."

The male Cat-folk nodded, and went to the others and helped unloading their wares. I looked around and noticed that the Cat-folk had unloaded the foodstuffs. I walked near them, and one of the merchant greeted me.

"Welcome! Though we're not open yet, you're free to browse."

I nodded to him, and looked at what they brought. One of the essentials that the Cat-folk brought with them are salt. Although the buying and the distributing of salt are handled by the chief, some household prefer to buy more from the merchants.

"We have some good salt. Are you interested?"

I rubbed my chin, and hummed.

"Depends. How much are you selling it?"

The merchant closed his eyes and folded his arms.

"Because the quality is really good, I'm selling them for 2 silver coins for 1 kilogram."

I shrugged and shook my head.

"Isn't that a little bit too expensive? How about 3 silver coins for 2 kilograms?"

The merchant laughed and shook his head.

"That is too much of a discount, considering how dangerous our journey here was. How about 3 silver coins and 75 copper coins for 2 kilograms?"

I grunted and scratched my head.

"How about 3 silver coins and 25 copper coins?"

This time, it's the merchants turn to grunt and knit his eyebrow.

"I really can't go any lower than 3 silver coins and 40 copper coins."

I nodded a few times, and took out the money.

"That is fine. I will take them."

The merchant smiled, and put the salt inside a satchel, and gave it to me. I gave the money to the merchant, and he smiled.

"Thanks for your business!"

I waved, and walked towards my apprentices, who is playing around with the horse the Cat-folk brought.

"Are you two done? The market is about to be open for business."

The two nodded, and trotted towards me. I sighed as I looked around me. Wares other than foodstuffs are finally unloaded, and people started to come. I quickly went to the weapon and armor vendor, and the shopkeeper greeted me as I walk closer.