lilac sky

As Lila was guided out of the cold and into the warm house, she discovered not much had actually changed since she had last been inside. Charlie and Bella's home still had the 'mid 40's hunting man' vibe it always seemed to, yet you could tell Bella's touch had effected some places within the house.
Lila let Bella guide her inside as Charlie's warm hand took he luggage for her, and before she could even get out a single word Charlie gave her a stern look with a 'don't even think about it' smirk as he trudged up the stairs with her belongings. This made her quietly chuckle, and soon she found herself sitting on the couch with her knees pulled to her chest. Bella sat on the opposite side legs crisscrossed looking more like a child than a soon to be adult. Lila smiled at her as she reached out and threaded her hand through Bella's. They let the silence convey their feelings, enjoying each others presence after so long.
Soon the silence was broken as they heard Charlie making his way down the stairs and into the living room. Charlie seemed to know what she needed because he turned on the football game and raced into the kitchen, as Bella laughed Charlie soon emerged with a large glass of iced tea complete with a bag of chips and her favorite pink laffy taffy candy. Truth be told Lila wasn't too interested in football, she would watch it when it was on but mostly she just enjoyed the background noise while she was thinking.
Later that evening Charlie and Bella herded Lila into her somewhat new room. As children Bella and Lila would be attached at the hip when she was visiting Forks, Lila practically lived in this house up until she was 12 and had to move away. Since then, they had changed the room she had so long ago called 'dibs' on. The once white walls, that used to have Bella and Lila's crayon Picasso masterpieces on them, now were a soft peach pink. The bed was soft and white with a gray blanket strewn across the foot of the bed, the white headboard held small delicate looking fairy lights. And above the window seat over viewing the tree that separated Bella and Lila's window, sat hanging potted plants. There were hanging plants and grounded ones all around her room, her small smile turned into a massive grin as she looked around the renovated room as she took tentative steps inside, feeling the hard wood below her feet she pivoted around spinning easily in her socks. As she spun around to face the door her smile had not in the slightest diminished as she gazed at the two faces in the doorway. Lila clasped her hands together to keep her from squirming in excitement, "thank you so much for this, I can never repay you" her voice was soft as her eyes watered. "There is no need Lila, you're our family and deserve the best we can give you."
As Lila heard the word 'family' her smile fell and she broke down into heartbreaking sobs, she was so lucky. To have lost one family and gain another, nothing could ever make her feel so loved. As Charlie gave her a sad smile, Bella brought the small girl into a loving hug while whispering assuring things to keep her best friend from falling too far apart.
Soon Lila had calmed down the friends went and sat at the window in silence watching the sunset fade into a lilac sky.

-
I know this story is progressing a little slow but I like to work my way into the first encounter and make sure the reader has a sense of character development from the beginning compared to the end of the story to see how far they've come.
Remember I do enjoy comments and suggestions (: hope you enjoyed.