The Match

My blood boiled  and I tried hard not to lose to rage. Anger turns the mind blind and at the moment, I need to think clearly.

Kageyama and I sat face-to-face, the classic chessboard in between us, and from across us, [F/N] had her hands and mouth tied up with rough clothing strips, surrounded by his supporters.

"Let's make this more interesting, Mikuni! With each piece you lose, we'll tight up her knots and with each piece I lose, they'll be loosen", a sly smile played on his lips.

Outrageous! I opened my mouth to decline when he cut in, " You can't refuse! She's our captive ", I felt a sudden urge to throw the whole table at his face. But I had to restrain myself and follow his pace.

I swear I am going to kill you one day!

"Black or white?", he asked.

"Black ", I replied firmly.

White takes the first turn, thinking first, planning and strategizing from scratch. By the time it's my turn, I would get a solid grasp of his tactics - is what I had thought. But ofcoarse, the side  doesn't matter, it's a game of wits.

"Black runs in your veins ", I gave his sarcastic remark to the winds.

I had been fairly confident in my plays until I lost my first piece - the bishop, leaving my queen vulnerable. The noose around her neck tightened and a triumphant smirk crept up my opponent's horrible face.

"Are you insane? She'll die like that", I rained daggers at him.

"Oh! If you want her to live, you better not lose any more pieces ", he said casually, as though he didn't care.

"Why? Why are you doing this to her?", my voice was venom,  " I thought you liked her."

"I did,  until someone stepped in", he replied calmly.

"What do you mean? ", I asked trying to be calm too.

"Isn't it obvious? I, absolutely, loathe ALICEINs ", he said with a voice filled with extreme disgust, his eyes no longer human. I felt a shrill down my spine, cold and lasting. This wasn't just a match, it was war.

"So here's my turn", his demeanor changed to his original appealing self in a matter of minutes.

A trail of thoughts flooded my mind but I pushed them down., the only concern I had right now was to keep my queen safe!