Chapter 6

A/N God I am so so so so so so so incredibly sorry. One month to wait is one thing.. but four months.. You can't even begin to understand how sorry I am. School has pretty much kicked every ounce of willpower out of me.. I'll let you read on then.

Hugs and Kisses,

~Devon's POV~

When I woke up, I had that overwhelming sense of dread about myself. I wasn't sure why until I saw Jason come into the bedroom and just watch me with a rather unpleasant look upon his face. It took me all of five minutes to figure out why he had such a sullen air to him.

It was Sunday. That meant that I would have to go home and face my drunk of a father. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I knew what was waiting for me wasn't very pleasant. Could I pack some things and stay with Jason for a while? It wasn't like I had any friends to stay with - they had all abandoned me around the time my father began drinking and being abusive. 

Sitting up and rubbing my face, I looked over at him and sighed. "Where am I going to go?" It came out in a sad tone, even though I had meant it to be strong. The fear must have been evident in my voice and on my face because it didn't take but more than a second for Jason to come over and wrap his arms around me to give me the sense of security I needed. 

"You and I will go to your house. I promise I won't leave you alone with him. You can pack up some  clothes and come stay with me for a while until we figure out how to continue from there." Jason explained all in a mutter into my hair. At this point, it didn't seem weird to think that I was staying/living with my teacher. He was more like my savior from death and especially my father. 

"He'll be seething with rage and anger at me for being gone. I didn't clean the house. There weren't meals on the table when he got home. The only thing in the fridge is beer.." I trailed off on other things that I would be punished for. Before I knew it, I was sobbing grotesquely and trembling violently. 

"He won't hurt you. I promised you that I will never let him hurt you again." Jason spoke gently and rubbed my back soothingly. Something about how he said it made me feel better, and I nodded as I wiped my face. "Now go wash up and get dressed. It's time to go." He squeezed me once before getting up and walking out of the darkened bedroom, making sure to close the door behind him to give me privacy.

I pushed myself out of the bed unwillingly after gathering my thoughts and noticed that my dress was laying on the foot of the bed. A slight smile appeared on my lips before I grabbed it and went into the bathroom to shower as I had been instructed to. 

The water was almost scalding my skin because of the heat setting it was on. On days like this, the hot water was my best friend and my savior. It normally helped me to think and clear my head of all the negative thoughts that were taking refuge in my mind.

Today, though, it just was not working out for me. 

After cleansing my body, I stepped out of the shower so I could dry off and slip into my dress. It was cold, and I had a feeling that Jason would have me wear something of his over it to keep me warm when we went outside.

My bare feet made a soft padding sound on the wooden floors as I walked out of the bedroom and into the living room and sat on the leather couch in front of the roaring fire. I could smell something delicious coming from the kitchen, but I didn't know what it was. My curiosity wasn't strong enough for me to want to get up and go check out what was going on, so I sat there on the couch and waited alone with my thoughts. 

"Hey, Devon.. are you cold?" A strong, warm voice came from behind me, and I nodded in response as Jason walked slowly into the room. He had a dark colored sweater on, coupled with a pair of black jeans and was carrying a tray containing a plate of egg and sausage, toast and a tall glass of orange juice. "Here. Eat up. I have a strong feeling you'll need the energy for later." He carefully placed the tray down in front of me on the oak table and went into his bedroom, probably looking for something of his that would fit me that might keep my warm enough to not freeze to death.