Chapter 16

This chapter goes into territory that might be considered triggering for some. Read with caution. There are mentions of kidnap, abuse, being knocked out with medication, all that fun jazz. 

Jason's POV

It is very difficult to see someone that you love be afraid of their own shadow; or every creak and groan of a house. It hurt me to see terror flash in Devon's eyes if my words were too sharp. It hurt to see her cower if my voice raised too high. She was broken and no matter how hard I tried to nurse her back to health, something would happen that would ruin any progress that we had made. It was a "one step forward, two steps back" scenario that was playing on repeat.

To say it was frustrating would be an understatement.

After sending her off to bed, I poured myself a small glass of scotch and sat down on the living room sofa to grade papers. I had spent many nights before Devon joined my home like this. It had been a rather lonely existence, but having her in my home was like turning on a light in a room I hadn't realized was dark.

There was a protective feeling that I had for her that I had never experienced before, and I wasn't quite sure what to feel about it. 

Figuring I was thinking too much, I took a long drink of scotch and poured another glass. 

When I took a good look at the clock, it was well past midnight. Since Devon hadn't come down looking for me, I assumed she was fast asleep. 

Not wanting to disturb her, I brushed my teeth in the downstairs half bath and laid out on the couch with a blanket and pillow. I wasn't drunk, but I was intoxicated enough to know I was uncoordinated enough to disrupt her sleep and wake her up if I tried to slip into bed with her. 

I put my arms under my head as I laid on my back and closed my eyes. My thoughts were filled with Devon and her future as I drifted off to sleep. Instead of counting sheep, I was counting her smiles. I was almost out cold when I heard a small click. Before I could get up and turn a light on, I felt hands on my face and shoulders. 

Quickly, I began to throw my arms around, but they were pulled into an awkward position and zip tied. Every movement only caused pain. I was lucky one or both of my arms weren't broken. I tried to yell to Devon to hide, or jump out a window, but duct tape had quickly covered my mouth.

Cloth quickly covered my eyes and I felt the coarse material of rope dig into my calves and ankles. I was bound to the couch in the most uncomfortable position possible with no way of escaping. 

My only thoughts were of Devon and what was going to happen to her, so I fought as hard as I could against my restraints. 

"Oh, Jason... if only you hadn't been so naive." I knew that voice, but before I could register it in my head, I felt a sharp stabbing feeling in my neck and the burning feeling of being injected with medication.

My last thoughts, before my consciousness faded to black, were consisted of Devon.

Devon's POV

It was only a matter of time before he came back for me. 

It was only a matter of time before my father would find me and do what he had been doing to me for years.

I cower under a table as he throws bottles at the wall and I can see the shattered glass and liquid contents splatter down the wall and onto the floor. 

"Come out, come out, wherever you are! You know I'll have my way, little girl!" My father's sing-song voice taunting me from where he was pacing. He was simply playing a game with me. It was like this every time. He knew where I was hiding.