7

On the whole ride home, I couldn't stop thinking about what just happened. Although I was originally pretty convinced that he was trying to use me, I think I have come to my senses. 

When I was at the palace, Maxon once told me that Honduragua had been out of power for five months and they were anticipating that their power wouldn't come back for another eleven. That was about 10 months ago. Given the timing of Elliot's return, there was no way Honduragua would have had power. They probably didn't even know the Selection was presently going on because we all know that the Selected hadn't been picked at random. And everyone knows the previous king did not want someone from a mostly poor town to come into his home.

I also talked to many of my coworkers and they said that Elliot had no idea what was going on in the outside world while he was in Honduragua. Apparently he didn't even know his great-aunt died until months after because there was no way to get to him besides a handwritten letter. And those take months to deliver through the national postal service. I find it funny how my letters got to my family within a day while I was at the palace, compared to the slack the rest of us get. Even if you're in the upper classes', it still isn't as fast. 

It was only when I pulled up in the driveway that I realized that I didn't go home. I went to the coffee shop. 

Given the fact that I was already there, I walked in. I supposed that I could do my unfinished paperwork to pass the time. It's not like I have anything better to do. 

I ordered my usual hot chocolate, found my seat in an empty desk and got right to work. It took faster than expected. The smarts in me were kicked in the second I stepped into my new office. 

I picked up a book from the shelf and started to read, mostly because I'd rather stay here and read than go home and do absolutely nothing. 

About thirty minutes later, Elliot sat next to me. I wasn't even surprised that he knew I'd be here. Even I drove here without conscience. 

"I knew you'd be here," he said as if he was the smartest person in the entire world. His expression was concerned, maybe a bit anxious, but giddy at the same time. 

I laughed. I know, I said in my head. "You always seem to find me."

"Trust me, hunting you down isn't that easy," he joked. We both laughed at that. 

"I'm so sorry," I said. "I didn't know if I could trust you or not. I just have a hard time believing that you didn't know who I was before we met. I don't know," I rambled. "It's just a hard time believing you're not using me."

"Kriss," he started. I like it when he says my name. "I don't know what you think I'd be using you for. My guess is that you know some top secret information about a plant or something that the King is telling you not to tell. And if you do, he'll throw you to the lions." We both laughed at this. 

He laughed because he simply just laughs at his own jokes. I laughed at the thought of Maxon throwing me into a dungeon of lions. What an image, I thought, laughing to myself. 

"On a more serious note," he continued. "Is it so hard to believe that I just want to get to know you?" 

I opened my mouth to answer but he kept going. "Kriss Ambers, the second I met you, you left me with so many unanswered questions. It would be intrusive to ask you them all at once, but the urge of getting to truly know you has been nagging at every corner of my mind ever since we met. Now, imagine someone being in every corner of your mind for two whole weeks! And the worst thing is that you're too afraid to get answers," he said exasperatedly. It was like he was getting everything off of his chest. Coming clean.