Chapter Two

"Miss Maya Anderson, right?" A woman inquired. Apparently, she was the teacher the principal had earlier described.

She did fit the description. She was of a reduced stature, a blonde but had packed her coils in neat folds, although she wore glasses, behind those frames, Maya could see gentleness and reservation in her eyes.

She was middle aged and something about her reminded her of her mother though she couldn't exactly find out what that was at that moment.

"Yes Ma'am," Maya feebly replied. She had earlier been standing for a quarter of an hour, and only after the teacher realized her grumpiness, did she permit her to have a seat as she searched for her academic records.

The teacher formally introduced herself as Mrs. Heather and further included that she taught American History.

When Maya had finally arrived at the class, she only met the teacher. She had taken note of that and probably figured out they were off to practice for whatever was mentioned by the boy she had earlier met.

After some moments of awkward silence, the teacher finally spoke up.

"I've found your class record sheet, and since it's a new folder, your new scores would be recorded in it. I'll advice you to try your best and make good grades at the end of this academic semester."

"Thank you," Maya replied.

"That's not a problem. It's recess, and I'll be heading over to the teacher's lounge, so since you are new, I'll get someone to show you around." Mrs. Heather added with a smile as she took out from her desk a bottle of Ivy table water and quickly pushed it back in.

That was it. Her hospitality and motherly smile. That was what was similar between this lady and her mum.

"Tess!! Come over here " Mrs. Heather beckoned on the unsuspecting Tess that coincidentally ran into the class.

"This is Tess Montes, the Deputy Student Body President, Female. I can entrust her with your safety and exposure. She'll show you around," Mrs. Heather concluded and with that, bade goodbye.

"Hi, Maya is it?" Tess asked.

"Yes it is," Maya replied adjusting a hair strand, that perched on her face.

"So I have so many things to show you. We can't afford to be late." Tess replied grabbing her wrist, and they both headed out of the class.

***

"....and this is the school's library" Tess said demonstrating with her hands. On the walls lay the past and present presidents of America. Aside from the gymnasium, she had seen yet another magnificent building and she stared around absent mindedly.

"Hey! Tell me about your previous school," Tess demanded.

"Not much to say. it wasn't as glamorous as this," Maya replied.

"Are you starving? because I am. Let's head to the cafeteria and grab a snack." Tess said. She was quite spontaneous.

"That sounds refreshing, but won't there be classes held today?"

"Well, the whole school is getting ready for the annual festival, so we would miss a lot of classes till after that. Talking about the festival, I need to head back to the gym for practice. Would you like to come over?" Tess asked with a grin, and after receiving a positive response, they headed for the gymnasium. She was starting to feel a lot more comfortable.

✳✳✳

"Tess, you are late, and you know you have a major stunt to perform." Mrs. Banks, the gym teacher said as she faced her direction.