Chapter Ten

"We will be looking at contemporary music... Anyone with ideas?" The teacher asked wryly..

"You are supposed to be our substitute history Teacher not Music" Allie said raising her hands as she begged for his attention.

"Right of course I guess I rather change it to History of contemporary music then" He said cleaning up the board and changing the topic.

"Who has heard about the beetles?.. Anybody? " When he got a satisfactory reply he proceeded.

"Music is as old as man.. You can hit up anything to produce a pleasant sound" Now he had taken his seat with his leg spread over the table.

"I'm not your regular kind of teacher... Oh Nope I hate school.. I'm the fun kind of... If you cooperate we could have a lot of fun together and you will still come out with good grades." He had said before the bell rung.

Everyone had left except Maya who had noticed the teacher take a half eaten burger from the locker.

Eww

She noticed but remained silent he had not notice her stare. She held out her pair of glasses, she loved the frame at least they weren't circular for some reason she figured out it was given to her at random.

Ever since she realized Daniel was the son of her optometrist, she became more conscious towards her beyond all reasonable doubt, she was assured Mrs. Andrea Bryant knew nothing.

"It's hard you know, the more I see it, it becomes clear that I'm to pick between two options... I just wanted a typical teenage life, proms, music, art... But then I can not do all this if I'm stuck rearranging distorted words in my head." She had explained to Tess who sipped her lemonade silently in the Cafe.

"So tell me who do you actually like?" Tess said suppressing a budding smirk.

"I like Scott b..bbut he's too loud but he's fun to be with and he put me through it all when I came in newly

Daniel on the other hand is the School's 'Everybody wanna be with guy' I don't want to be among the crew" She said silently chewing her pancakes they were sticky.

"OK I'm no relationship coach, but I think Daniel has done more than enough to prove you mean a lot to him... Or is this about Allie?"

"Well... Did I forget to mention she once did pour me her Cocoa drink my hair got all sticky and wet... "

"You didn't call me?"

"I don't know... I just want to get all over the whole Daniel issue " She said reaching for her bottle. It was a transparent bottle with a pink cover.. It had pink rose flowers at the base... It was perfect.

"I think I left it in the class, I'll be right back"

Maya had approached the main hallway and heard the Strings from an electric guitar being plucked. It made a perfect rhythm and she assumed it came from Music class but those were until Friday and they perform pure classical music with the Violin. The sound produced most certainly seemed to be coming from the Closet. No sane person would play from the closet... Except...

"Mr. Andrew? You're the one playing from the closet?"

"It's Drey... I repeat DREY and yes I play in my free time... Who are you and why are you here"

"I'm Maya... You and I?.."

"Oh yeah, the class I was in earlier... No go no-one needs to know what you saw"

"Something tells me you don't just play during your free time... I'll keep my mouth shut if you tell me the whole truth" She said folding her hands and leaving him in a motionless stare..

"Fine you caught me... I'm the band leader of the musical group... The Spikes"

"Spikes? Really that's the best you could come up with?"

"I was only twelve when the group was created with my best friends Moe and Curly"

"So what are you doing in a school if you are what you say you are?"

"Trying to make money... The band is broke"

"What about the main reason behind accepting a teaching job,.. The teaching part?"

"I don't really care" He said plucking a string.

Maya narrowed her brows in a manner that he understood to ask the question 'Really?'

"OK I do care I just have a month to prove how good a teacher I am before Mrs. Heather steps back in."

"You know Mrs Heather?"

"Of course, the only way to get a slot into this school was to deliver her a package"

He smiled at the thought that had clouded his head.

"Exactly what package are we referring to?"

"A Flu"

He said bursting out into a cynical laughter.

"Oh my God.. I can't believe you... That's harmful don't you care?"

"Oh I do care that's why I'm sure she's going to be OK in a month's time"

He had however reminded her of her promise and as was expected she stuck to it.

The rest of the day went on well and she was thankful she hadn't met with Daniel..
Even though she had been scared to admit it, she will loose words while trying to talk to him and ruin everything.. Like she had always done.

She took the bus back home.. It was crazy as a ton of people crammed themselves in... But she got a seat beside the window...

My favorite

She came home and her mother had informed that they had a little discussing to do.

"Another lesson teacher how thrilled I am with this news" Maya said adjusting her frame.

It had become a usual practice.

"Sweetheart we know this is a surprise but it's for the best"

Tell me something I don't know

"He's coming in soon.. You have to be ready when he shows up"

Maya mumbled some unintelligible words but her mum took no interest and when she had dismissed her, she went to the stairs each time skipping a stair or two till she got to her room.

...i just don't want another grumpy man with some unusual temper... I need someone that will understand me

She wrote each words in her pink diary. To her, whenever she wrote in it, she was in a different realm where she controlled everything.... It was one mighty journal. She looked at the previous pages they had each began to form dog ears and the cover was wearing away. Just then her mother called her through her phone.
Oh how with great excitement she picked it up expecting anyone Tess maybe just anyone but her Mum.

"...come downstairs your teacher's here.. "

Maya didn't bother replying... She laid backwards and after few seconds she got up wore her flip flops and went down. She had barely stepped to the last step when she met her mum talking to a man. He was quite young.

...and he wore a suit?

"Maya come over here" Her mother called.

Maya felt her steps quicken and she was introduced to her teacher

"This is Mr. Andrew Johnson"

"Professor" He corrected adjusting his tie.

That name though..

"Mr. Drey??!!"