Chapter Three

Days had passed since Maya began studying in Hallmark. With each passing day drawing near to the Festival.

Of course, preparations had been intense, and she didn't quite get the deserving attention for a new student.

Most people had noticed the new face in their midst but didn't really stop to verify.

Tess had been scarce, too. She had been practicing with the cheer squad day by day. Maya didn't seemingly get to see why one should practice so hard for sports until she was clarified. Tess had told her that the second most esteemed activity after studies were sports.

A few times, Maya trooped into the school library to browse through some books. She hadn't liked the idea of loitering or staying idle without always having a book to read.

Till then, no one but her and the principal knew her health condition. She believed perhaps constant reading up of blurred, jumbled, and disconnected words makes the possibility of seeing a meaning to it. She had left for her home later that day, needless to say, that day was a long one.

The day had finally arrived. The day that got people talking for the whole academic year. It was the day of the Annual Sporting Festival. In preparation for that, the principal had invited some other schools' representative from over four states in the United States. The Hallmark Cheer Squad graced the occasion by beginning with a little team cheer.

They had performed a few stunts, which were, of course, not what they had tirelessly worked for. The rival team, The Tigers of Hadleigh High School, had also.

Soon after that, there were performances by the basketball team, volleyball, and even Interschool Swimming competitions, but everyone had only one sport they anxiously awaited their performance; The Soccer Jaguars.

They had been in the boys locker room where they were scrutinized, and those to be selected as substitutes were announced. Jack had been mentioned, it would have been a good thing and a better opportunity for him to practice tirelessly, until there's a substitution except for the fact that they all knew he wasn't going to play in the game.

It was the coach's nice way of saying, 'You aren't fit for now, keep practicing'. Scott had also despite his skills of dribbling been selected as a substitute and not the first eleven, but that was understood, as a strategy not to fix all one's best players in the first half. They had a group prayer and kicked off at the coach's signal, to begin playing.

They entered the selected area of performance and their entrance attracted applause. The school's anthem had been sung by both teams, and they began.

The first half began quite favourably for The Jaguars, as they had in the third minute scored a goal. It was scored by the captain and team's top striker, Daniel Bryant.

Then when all seemed to be fine, a corner kick that was headed into their net recorded another goal by the rival team. This was at the Forty-fifth minute, one second. They had played a bit more before going in to come back for the second half.

Maya had been present at the festival all day in school performance. The football being the last thing to be performed had eaten into the night. There was no way she was going alone and would have to call her mum to pick her up after the event.

She was not a fan of sports, but had no choice than to attend. She had sat on one of the chairs apportioned for the audience. She had known only Scott, and had wished him success.

The second half had begun and Scott substituted Ferguson, a fellow teammate. All had been fine, except for the fact that he had refused to pass the ball to any of his teammates, and he especially wasn't planning to give it to Daniel either.

In fact, he had in his bid to head back the ball that was shot out by the goal keeper, fallen on Daniel. The referee assigned for the match, had come over to give him a yellow card and to see what exactly happened.

It was so bad of an injury that he had to be taken out of the pitch to a medical centre. It had been a dislocation of his scapula and meta carpals.

The match had continued, and Scott somewhat managed to score a goal at the seventy-first minute not long after the match came to a finish by the signal of the referee's final whistle. It had been All over at exactly 9:27 pm.

"Good game." Maya said to Tess as she had met her taking out some things from her locker.

"It would have been, except for the fact that their team captain lies in the hospital dislocated. I'm so sad right now." Tess said.

"Oh well. I think that's one of the quirks that accompany football, being ready for any injury whatsoever. Although I feel sorry, even though I do not know who you are talking about." Maya said clutching tighter to her bag.

"Are you serious?!" Tess said slamming her locker door, before proceeding.

"Every cricket and bug knows him, but you don't. Daniel Bryant, the school's King and soccer wizard, not to mention his terrific academic performance." Tess said.

"That's amazing! I guess I'll figure out who he is soon enough. As for now, I need a long nap. It's been quite a day. You do, too." Maya said.

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow then. I'll stay behind to pack up." Tess said effortlessly scratching her coils.

After one phone call, her mum came over, to pick her up.