Chapter Ten

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I need you to leave."

Chibs just smirked as she turned his way, a look of defiance on her face. He couldn't help but think that she was never more beautiful than when she was cross with him. He finally shrugged as he straightened up and took a step into the room. He watched as she took a step backward and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"And I need ye to listen while I talk. Who do ye think will win?"

He watched Rey blow out a frustrated breath. "I'll just call David. I'm sure he'll see things my way."

Chibs nodded as he quickly strode over to her, backing her into the wall beside the closet. "Aye, I'm sure he would, but darlin, ye threaten me with that bastard again, and ye'll wish ye hadn't."

Rey raised her chin defiantly and looked him in the eye. "I'm not scared of you, Chibs."

Chibs grinned and nodded. "It's Filip, and I don't want ye scared of me, lass. I just want ye to listen."

Rey chuckled as she shook her head. "Boy, you're just full of lies, aren't you? Different name... wife... "

Chibs growled under his breath but let her pass as she made her way to the door, with him hot on her heels. "I dinna lie to ye, luv. I just dinna tell ye everything."

They had reached the kitchen as she threw her hands up in frustration. "It's the same thing!"

Chibs leaned against the counter and shook his head. "No, it's not, Rey. I swear I was plannin on tellin ye when we got back, but someone decided that ye needed to know before I was ready."

Rey leaned on the counter farthest away from him and looked at the floor. "Well, I'm glad they did. I'm not one of the women at the clubhouse, Chibs. I... "

Chibs lifted his head. "Filip."

Rey sighed. "Filip."

Chibs grinned and inclined his head in a silent thank you before continuing. "Darlin, I know ye ain't a croweater, and I've never treated ye like one, have I?"

Rey shook her head. "No, but still... the thought that somewhere you have a wife who I know nothing about... who knows nothing about me... I don't honestly know what to do with that."

Chibs gazed at her with an emotion that she couldn't recognize before replying. "Aubrey, Fiona and I... we haven't been together in years, darlin. I just never made it legal, that's all. I didn't have a real reason to think about it, then ye came along and suddenly I started thinking about it. I swear I was going to tell ye about her." He stood up straight and strode to where Rey was, pulling her into his arms and tilting her head back to make her look him in the eye. "Tell me ye believe me, luv."

Rey felt tears stinging her eyes but refused to let them fall. "I do believe you, Filip, but it doesn't change anything. You're still married and I'm technically the other woman, and I refuse to be that." She swallowed hard as she tried to break his hold but he proved to either be much stronger or more determined than she was. "Look, I think we should put an end to this... whatever this is, until your divorce is final. Then, if you're still interested, we'll talk about it and see where we both stand."

"You're not serious!? Aye, but wouldn't Hale love that! He's already pantin after ye with me in the picture, what happens when I'm not?"

Rey shook her head, trying to make him see her side. "David isn't like that! We're just friends."

Chibs chuckled bitterly as he shook his head. "C'mon luv, ye can't be that naive! Why do ye think he told ye about Fi? He wants in yer pants and yer lettin him in!" He let go of her and walked over to stand looking out the window for a few minutes while silence reigned in the kitchen. Finally, he nodded to himself and turned to look at her. "Fine. If that's how ye want it, that's how it'll be, but I have my own demands, mo leannan. I agree to no physical contact while I'm still legally married, but ye'll still act and be treated like my old lady. I can't protect ye like I want if it's not clear who you belong with. Yer mine and I'll not share ye with anyone, includin that greasy bastard Hale." 

Rey sighed and nodded her head. "I can agree to that."

Chibs grinned then, pushing off from where he was standing to crowd her against the counter. "Aye, then, let's seal it with a kiss, yeah?"

Rey laughed before she caught herself, smacking him on the chest as he leaned in to nuzzle her neck with his nose. "You bastard! We just said no physical contact!"

Chibs chuckled and shrugged as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her tightly against his body. "I meant as in fuckin, not kissin. We've already got that sin against us, darlin. Might as well make the most of it, yeah?"

Rey looked up into his laughing eyes and shook her head as she grinned. "It really shouldn't surprise me that you'd be going around the rules already."

Chibs laughed as he kissed her on the nose. "Kiss me, leannan."

Rey looked up at him with a confused frown on her face. "What's that mean, leannan?"

"Google it later. Quit stallin and kiss yer man."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mo leannan - my lover, my sweetheart