1) A Normal Life

Dear Diary,

As this is the first time I write you, I wish to let you know a bit about me. I don't want this to be a huge text, so for now, I'll give you the basics.

Joe Wing is my pen name and I do not have a normal life. Meaning, it does not follow the ways of what most people consider to be normal. I don't judge it as good or bad, it is just what it is, and I'm sure glad it turned out this way.

You see, living a "different" life was not something that just happened, like I would be born into some extraordinary circumstances. In fact, for a long while I was your every day average Joe and everything in my life was quite well arranged for normality. Let me tell you a bit about it.

I was born and raised in a quite traditional family, in a small town of an European country. My family (including grandparents, aunts and uncles) were very average middle class people, simple, happy and quite traditional. I was raised inside the catholic religion, and there was not one case of divorce in my entire family to this day.

So obviously, I was leading a quite regular life while growing up. I started a relationship with my childhood sweetheart (we started dating at 15!) and we were together for more than 7 years. We were "meant to be", as they say. The plan would be to go for marriage, kids, work weekdays, have fun on weekends... all the perks of a normal life.

I also embarked into the regular academic way, I graduated as an engineer, and became a rational and intelligent working human being. It all seemed to be working out quite well. Life was becoming more and more... normal.

But the Universe seemed to have other plans for me and my life, which took quite many interesting turns. I will not bother you now with the whole details, but I will go into it gradually over my next entries.

For now let's just say that for a long time I lived rather unconsciously happy in my "normal" life until one day I got the courage to look deeper into what I really wanted, what I really felt, what... I really was.

And this is a bit about my background. I don't wish to make this text excruciatingly large so I will stop for now and tomorrow I will write you again.

Love,
Joe