Chapter Twenty-Eight

McKenna held her breath as Loki came back into the living room. Thor rose from the sofa. "Are we going?"

"Yes." Loki tossed the phone onto the coffee table. "Shannon said she would take care of the cat as long as you need her to."

"Good." Thor retrieved his hammer. "Shall we go, then?"

McKenna's palms were clammy and her breath seemed difficult to catch, but still she nodded and slid her hand into Loki's. His hand tightened about hers and his voice was low as he said, "All will be well, love. Don't look so frightened."

"I can't help it. The last time we were in Asgard, I watched them drag you off in chains. I don't want to do that again."

He pressed a kiss into the top of her head that only somewhat eased her apprehension. "You won't."

She scooped her car keys from the dish, picked up her purse, and shook her head. "Why don't I believe that?"

***

 The Bifrost site was in the middle of a field off Route 287. Praying her car would still be there when they returned, McKenna locked the doors, set the alarm and reluctantly allowed Loki to take her by the hand and lead her to the huge marking on the grass that for all the world looked like a giant Celtic fingerprint.

She caught Loki's hand between both of hers and he responded by slipping it free to ease that arm about her waist. She squeezed her eyes shut, tucking her head against Loki's chest as Thor thundered, "Heimdall! Open the Bifrost!"

The breath ripped from her lungs as the invisible hook snagged her about the middle to jerk her forward. Loki never loosened his hold on her, not even when they stepped out of the Bifrost and into Heimdall's blindingly bright gold room.

"Welcome back to Asgard," he said, smiling at McKenna. Then, his gaze dipped lower. "And congratulations are in order as well, I see."

"They are and thank you, Heimdall," Loki said, giving McKenna's waist a squeeze.

"I'm going to speak with Father," Thor said. "And I will send Eir to your chambers."

Loki nodded, steering McKenna out of the room and down the other half of the Bifrost leading to the palace. Her stomach actually hurt as they drew near the palace, although none of the guards they passed by seemed to pay them any attention.

"Does Odin know you escaped?" she whispered as they made their way through the main doors.

"He does. Thor told him."

She stopped dead in her tracks. "What?"

"You needn't worry, love. All is well."

"I hope so."

He faced her, catching both of her hands in his. "McKenna, do you trust me?"

She met his blue-eyed gaze and nodded. "Of course I do. You have to know that by now."

"Then you need trust me on this as well."

The baby kicked then, with enough force that she actually winced. "Ow."

"What?"

"Your son thinks he's Pele today."

Loki's brow furrowed. "Who?"

"He kicked me really hard." She pressed a hand to the spot as the baby kicked again. "Oh!"

He frowned and resumed walking, a bit faster now. She had a difficult time keeping up with his long-legged strides, especially when the baby kicked again and she half-expected to see his foot burst through her side.