8. Donad

Within an hour, the travelers were set to go. They had packed their supplies and enough food to last for two weeks, even though their journey would take less time. The elves had been kind to them throughout their entire stay, but if Melda guessed that if they had found out about her, then she would’ve been back at her kingdom by then. And that gave her anxiety every second of their stay there. She would see the elves stare at her during a meal, or even as they passed by her window. but she watched them pass every time, thinking that they would snatch her and take her back. She knew that she had to be cautious ever since she escaped her prison-like home. 

The group left in the early afternoon. They mounted Sawyer’s horse and rode south towards Edoras. It was nearly a week’s travel but Sawyer had received word that his friend had set up a camp near Fangorn Forest during his time in Lorien. He decided to ride until they met with him and they could all travel back together. But on their first day, they ended up making it over halfway to him, so they stopped to camp not far from the forest. 

The day after, they reached the camp in half a day, getting there just before sunset. Sawyer dismounted his horse and greeted his friends, “Donad, why have you travelled here?”

“I was sent looking for you, since it had taken you longer than we all expected,” He replied. Donad was an older looking boy around Sawyer’s age. he had long dark hair and the lightest eyes imaginable. 

Melda dismounted and helped Erwen down, getting an immediate stare from Donad. He looked at her like he had seen a ghost and Sawyer noticed.

“This is Melda of Rivendell, and Erwen,” Donad slightly bowed, but as he came back up and caught Melda’s eyes, he was giving her a death glare. She backed away slightly as Sawyer and Donad began to talk again.

Until sunset, Donad kept sneaking glares at Melda, and she had her suspicions about him. She was afraid that he knew who she was. But as the dark fell upon the sky, it got worse. 

“Its getting chilly,” Erwen commented as she wrapped her arms around her legs and shivered.

“Indeed,” Donad replied, “Sawyer, come get firewood with me.”

“I’d rather stay and keep watch,” Saywer said as he extended blankets onto the grass for sleeping.

“No, I really think I’ll need help,” Donad said sternly.

“Donad yo-“ Sawyer began to retort, but Melda stopped him by lightly touching his arm, “Go on, we will be just fine.”

Sawyer gave in and followed Donad to a nearby patch of trees. He took out his sword and began to cut small branches. Nearby, Melda scurried towards them in silence. She did not trust Donad in the slightest bit, and she knew that he was up to no good. So, all she thought to do at the time was follow them and hide.

“Tell me, Donad,” Sawyer said, knowing that Donad had dragged him there to tell him something privately.

“Alright,” Donad responded, “You know your companion, Melda?” Sawyer nodded, “She’s not who she said she is.” Melda’s breath hitched back into her throat at is words.

“You must be going mad, Donad, you just met her.”

“No, Sawyer, she is not from Rivendell,” Donad replied angrily, “She came from the Woodland Realm.” Melda could barely breath, she knew he had known.

Sawyer looked up at him confused, and Donad continued, “Word’s been going around that Melda, the daughter of King Thranduil, went missing a couple of days ago. He’s offering a reward for her return.” Hearing the news, Melda was not surprised by her father’s action. But by all means, she knew that this meant that she had to be even more cautious with who she trusted, because anyone could be hunting her.

“Why is he offering a reward? Wouldn’t Melda return home?” Sawyer stopped cutting the branches.

“Returning home is the last thing she wants, Sawyer. Word says that she was traded as a slave by her father for plenty in return. That is why her father seeks her out, she didn’t go missing, she escaped her own kingdom.”

Melda felt her burden get heavier on her shoulders. If she was being hunted for a large reward, how could she go anywhere? The news must’ve spread all around the Woodland Realm.

“Why are you telling me this, Donad?” Sawyer suddenly asked.

“Because maybe it was fate that she came to us. We can take her back and get the reward!” Donad sounded excited at his plan, “In the morning, we start heading towards Mirkwood, then-“

Melda scurried away in tears, how could this happen? How could she go with Erwen to Edoras if everyone there knew about her? She thought and thought on her walk back to camp, finding Erwen asleep already, shivering. She ran the options through her mind, what could she do?

And at that moment, she knew her only way: escape at night and leave everything behind.

--------

I will be posting for Child of Lake-Town within the next few days. But here is the new chapter! Tell me what you think, Id love to know!