Chapter 14 - The Story

The room was large enough for one, given that I preferred to spend my time in my case anyways, I could make another bed for Jacob, and Queenie can sleep and have some privacy. Even when we were in it all together, it was still fine. So, I knew it wasn't the room's fault that I felt this feverish feeling creep from my cheeks through my ears and to the back of my head. I suppressed a grunt of frustration as I massaged the back of my head

'What's with him?' asked Jacob.

'Nothing,' I mumbled, taking off my coat and hanging it on the wardrobe. I soon felt Queenie's eyes on me, a weird feeling squirming inside of my head. I turned to look at Queenie and she hastily looked away, sitting next to Jacob on the bed. Sighing, I turned to the both of them, both looking rather eager.

'I don't... I don't really want to talk about it...'

'Why not? So, you and your brother don't get along. Big deal,' said Jacob, a small smile on his face, 'I had pals who had brothers, and they all felt a bit shadowed by their big ones.'

I leaned back against the door, looking anywhere else but at them. I knew I was making them feel bad, but how could I explain why and else?

'Oh honey, it's not that simple,' I heard Queenie say to Jacob. 'They have... saddening history.' She casted a glance to me, her glossy eyes telling me to tell him or she would. Squirming nervously and rubbing the back of my head, I opted it was best to tell him.

'My brother and I were very close in Hogwarts, our school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We were a group of three back then, and we all got along, regardless of him being in a year ahead of us. However, something happened during one of the lessons. I had tried to explain to this other friend of ours how to approach a Hippogriff correctly. They had asked me before the class, just if the teacher asked. It was something they did constantly, so I saw no trouble at all on telling them. Anyhow, although I told them everything I knew, they messed up badly. It all went chaotic. The Hippogriff felt threated and, as it defended itself, it accidentally hit another student with one of its wings.'

I could not think of a thing that could've been able to describe Jacob's expression as he heard this part. He gulped and nodded at me to continue.

'Anyways, before I knew it, I was blamed for putting my classmates in near-death danger. Fair enough, I guessed, given that it was I who had adviced my friend – '

'It was not your fault, Newt!' shouted Jacob and Queenie, their faces filled with indignation. I allowed myself to smile a bit, surprised yet pleased to have them as friends.

'Maybe,' I said slowly, 'but it didn't make a difference what I said, given that all the evidence pointed at me. Don't look at me that way, please – I just don't want to make it seem like I'm mad or that I was a victim of the accident. Others were, like that kid who had to spend months in bed rest.

'But still...' I heard Queenie mumble. I glanced at her and noticed her pained expression.

'W-What about that friend of yours?' asked Jacob, hopeful. 'What did they do?'

'Turned me in,' I said impulsively. 'My friend had declared against me, and my classmates and some of the teacher weren't of help either. Most of them had seen me free the Hippogriff so it wouldn't be punished.'

'What about...well, your brother, Theseus?'

'He never showed up. And when I saw him as I was leaving Hogwarts, he looked at me as if I was a repulsive insect that had laid on the family tree of the Scamander's.

'Yet, if it wasn't for my Transfiguration teacher, Professor Dumbledore, I would've lost it more than all I had – I would've lost all that I could have. However, I was expelled anyway. No schools, no friend... and no brother.'

As I stopped talking, I couldn't bring myself to look at them. I had just spoken more than I should've. Swallowing hard, I decided to occupy myself by grabbing my case and brush my fingers over the locks, thinking on going down to see my creatures and see if they were alright.

'Hey Newt,' said Jacob, his voice above a cautious whisper. Knowing I was going to regret it, I still turned to my friend. He looked at me in the eye, asking for permission. I nodded, his shoulders relaxing a bit. He cleared his throat and asked, 'what was their name?'

I turned away back to my case. I kept my voice steady, putting my case on the floor and sitting next to it, answered. 'Leta. Her name was Leta – Leta Lestrange.'