Chapter 17 - Ally or Foe

A/N: Got sick during the weekend. Added some more stuff to it than it was meant to be. Sorry for the wait. Also, who has seen the final trailer? I'm super excited! Anyhow, enjoy xo

I knew something was wrong the moment I opened my eyes. 

I looked around me, and I saw the laying figure of Jacob next to me. Alarmed, I sprang to my feet and kneeled next to him, suppressing the urge to touch a sore spot in the back of my head. My fingers flew to the side of his neck, a stream of relief running down my body as I let out a breath. 

My eyes then looked around, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I was surrounded by my creatures, Dougal looking at me with his big brown eyes with a questioning gaze. I took deep breaths as I made sure all of them were present and well, yet it made the seed of turmoil grow inside me. I heard a grunt from behind me and met with the tired eyes of my friend. 

'Newt...' he groaned as he sat up.

'Hello,' said I, smiling awkwardly.

'Wha,' he breathed out, looking around and taking in the surroundings as I did. Turning his eyes back at me, I could see their disorientation in them as if it were my own.

'What happened?' he asked.

I shook my head. 'I don't know,' I mumbled as I turned my eyes to my shed; to where the trap door was. 'Let's go.'

'Where's Queenie?' he asked, panic flowing from him. I felt my insides churn as I remembered on what state she was, and it only made my steps go faster. I heard Jacob's hurried and stumbly footsteps behind me, but I turned as I noticed those weren't only his. I came face to face with a curious group of my creatures, their eyes looking at me with innocence and hints of pleading. 

'No,' I simply said, which let loose noises of complaint. Sighing, and letting Jacob sneak into the shed first, I turned to them. 'Now everyone, please...oh, don't be like that, please... it is dangerous.' 

More complain followed, this time sounding more worried than upset. Smiling at their concern, I said, 'No; I want you safe,' with a much firmer voice. Some murmuring sounds came from them, but no accusatory yells or growls followed. Taking my time to give them all one more look into their eyes, I tilted my head a bit as a sign of departure and turned around, entering at last into the shed.

Jacob was still there, some amusement in his features as I entered. 'Giving you trouble?'

'A bit. But I prefer this than exposing them to more danger.'

'True, no one wants that to happen,' agreed Jacob, smiling at me before his eyes looked up the stairs, his expression now uneasy. 'We don't even know where we are on the other side...God, I hope Queenie is safe...' He turned to me. 'What now?'

Before I could change my mind, I moved my feet and started to climb up the wooden steps that led to the exit. I sensed Jacob's stare from the bottom of the stairs as I arrived at the top. Taking a breath and holding it in, wand ready, I unlocked and pushed the lid opened.

First thing I noticed was that we were in a strange room; it was as if the ground was tilted and the rest of the room had grown with it. The air smelled of chemicals and toxic elements, leaving a sour, unpleasant taste in my mouth as I breathe it in, and making tears to form in the inner corners of my eyes. The windows were opaque with white tones, the occasional shadows of a spider or other creatures easily spotted.  

'What is it you see?' whispered Jacob.

'Well, I see no one if that's what you mean,' I answered. Indeed, the place was deserted. I still held my wand held high as I emerged to the outside. The wood underneath me groaned, its sound getting lost in the silence that haunted that place. I looked behind me and noticed an ancient fireplace, so damaged it seemed as if an explosion had taken place. I squinted as I observed its contents until I heard a loud thud and coughs. I looked behind and went to help a faintly pink-faced Jacob up on his feet.