Chapter Three-If My Heart Was A House You'd Be Home

The Reid Method: The Beginning

Chapter Three- If My Heart Was A House You'd Be Home

Three weeks passed. Ethan dropped out of classes after the first week.

Spencer was upset to learn that Ethan was dropping out. He was packing his things in their dorm room when Spencer came back from class.

"You're leaving?" he said standing in the doorway of the dorm room.

Duffel bags were packed and set on top of the dresser and Ethan's bed.

"I'm sorry Spencer" Ethan apologised shaking his head. "It's just not going to work out for me here."

He picked up the bags and out them over his shoulder. He stood face to face with Spencer and put a hand on his shoulder.

"You still have J.J." he said. "I'll keep in touch."

He walked over to the door and walked out closing it behind him.

He was right. He still had J.J.  She would be his friend right?

Spencer found J.J. at the library with Neil Pearce, the guy who hosted the party on the first night. They were studying together.

He went inside and sat down at one of the tables and started studying. He didn't wantt to think about Ethan leaving. He needed to be distracted.

A few minutes later a shadow loomed over Spencer.

He looked over his shoulder to see J.J. standing there.

"Hey" she said smiling.

"Hey" Spencer said quietly going back to his book. He didn't want to talk about Ethan leaving.

J.J. picked up that something was wrong. Something was bothering Spencer.

"What's wrong?" J.J. asked her brows furrowed.

Spencer put his book down on the table. He looked up at J.J. "Ethan left."

Surprise lit up J.J.'s face. "What?

Spencer nodded. "He said that it wasn't for him, the FBI."

J.J. sat down on the chair beside him. She hesitantly reached over and put her hand on Spencer's.

"I'm sorry" she spoke softly. "I know he's your friend, you must feel lost."

Spencer glanced over at Neil across the room. He was sitting on a chair, books spread out on the table in front of him.

J.J. noticed Spencer looking over at Neil. He dropped his gaze and looked back over at J.J.

"You can study with us if you want" J.J. offered.

Spencer shook his head. "Maybe some other time" he murmured quietly.

J.J. nodded. "I'll see you later, okay?" She put her hand on his again and walked back over to Neil.

Ethan left him and now J.J. was hanging out with someone else.

Spencer had to make sure that J.J. wouldn't leave him too.

They spent three nights a week together for the last four weeks.

Two they would spend on homework, assignments, and studying. On Sundays, they switched back and fourth between activities they both enjoyed.

J.J. taught Spencer more about darts and soccer and Spencer taught J.J. how to play chess and poker.

They spent time getting to know each other, learning all the little things about each other. How Spencer was still afraid of the dark, J.J.'s fear of the woods, embarrassing childhood memories.