Chapter Six- If You Wait Too Long, He Will Be Gone

The Reid Method: The Beginning

Chapter Six- If You Wait Too Long, He Will Be Gone

On July 28, 1998, J.J. and Spencer made the decision that the baby would be put up for adoption. They decided that they would tell both of their parents after the twelfth week of J.J.'s pregnancy.

It was August 17, 1998,  Natalia's third birthday. Samantha hosted her birthday party at the house.

Spencer walked nervously through the house filled with Dora The Explorer balloons and banners put up everywhere. He was avoiding his sisters and his mom. He wanted to tell them all about the baby but he knew he couldn't, not yet.

Spencer watched from the window as Cameron lifted Natalia onto one of the swings on the swing set in the backyard. Victoria was on the swing next to her.

J.J. was helping Courtney clean up the living room. Samantha was washing dishes in the sink in the kitchen. Connor had taken off early for work.

Spencer moved over to the sink to help Samantha dry the dishes she had washed. Once the dishes were done, Samantha looked into the kitchen to make sure J.J., their mother, and Courtney were out of ear shot.

She watched Spencer put the towel back on the handle of the stove. He walked back over to the window looking out again.

In one quick motion, Samantha took the towel off the stove and smacked Spencer's arm with it.

"Ow!" Spencer exclaimed, holding his arm while looking back at Samantha. "Why did you do that?"

"How many weeks is she?" Samantha asked.

Spencer stood there still holding his arm, not sure if he heard her correctly. "What?"

"J.J. is pregnant. How many weeks is she?" Samantha said with her hands on her hips giving Spencer the classic "Reid look".

Spencer caved looking down at the floor. "Eight weeks." He looked back up at his sister. "How did you know?"

She put the towel down on the counter. "I've had three children. When do you plan on telling Mom?"

Spencer sighed. "We were waiting until after the twelfth week, just in case something happens."

Samantha looked at him with worry. "Do you have a plan?" Her voice was soft and gentle. She knew what Spencer was going through. She had Cam when she was only seventeen. Connor was twenty at the time.

"Adoption" Spencer nodded.

Samantha walked over to Spencer pulling him into her arms. "I'm here if you need anything."

"Thanks" Spencer replied her arms wrapped around his sister.

Diana came around the corner and noticed Spencer and Samantha hugging.

"What's going on in here?" she said, suspicion written all over her face.

Samantha and Spencer let go turning to face their mother in the doorway.

"Nothing is going on" Samantha spoke first. "I was just glad that Spencer and J.J. could come to Natalia's birthday party."

"Something is going on" Diana said. "I'll find out soon enough" she left the kitchen without saying anything else.

Spencer and Samantha looked at each other with worry.

Four weeks passed and Spencer and J.J. went to the 12-week prenatal appointment. The doctor confirmed that everything was going great and they were both healthy.