Chapter 12

Previously:

Yet again, I wake up from another nightmare. I can't seem to catch a break between the creepy notes and the nightmares. Putting my pride aside I get out of bed and search the floor in the dark for my phone. I feel around the general area I threw it and eventually find it leaning against the wall. I dial Luke's number and hope to god that he will be there for me.

"Hello?" he answers sounding really groggy. He hasn't even realized that I'm the one who called.

"Luke? I need you." I cry into the phone.

"Dylan? It's 2 in the morning. Just go back to bed." he groans, clearly annoyed that I woke him, though I can't bring myself to care.

"Please. I need you." Sounding so desperate. I wait for a response, but all I hear on the other side is silence. "Luke please." I try again.

Just then, the line goes dead, giving me my answer. He wasn't coming.

I curl up on the floor of my room and cry as I hug my knees to my chest. All I could think about was him. He was on my mind from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. The last thing I thought was the most heartbreaking of all. I've officially lost him.

Luke's POV:

I lay in my bed with my arm over my forehead as I contemplate what to do. Just as I was about to respond to Dylan, my phone died making it seem like I hung up on her. I still haven't forgiven her for what she did to me, but I can't just sit here while she's upset. She sounded so desperate on the phone, something I've never seen from her. She said she needed me. I couldn't help but feel over the moon at the thought of her needing me like she said she did on the phone. Dylan always comes across very reserved and disconnected. She doesn't want to get close to anyone for whatever reason.

Sighing I go with my heart and roll out of bed. I go to my closet and pull out a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie before slipping on my Vans and grabbing my keys. No matter what she does to me I will always be there for her. Always.

I quietly open the front door and slip out so I don't disturb my parents and then walk to my car. I get in and turn the heat on because even though it's only November, it's really cold here in Connecticut. I play with the radio while my car heats up and then when I'm happy with the song that's playing and the temperature in my car, I pull out of my driveway and drive towards my girls' house.

Instead of parking in her driveway, I just pull up to the curb and kill the engine. I don't want to be in her mom's way in case she needs to leave on short notice. I calmly walk up the path and pull out a key to open the front door. Dylan's mom left me a key once when I was over just in case I needed to get in for some reason. That reason must be night's like tonight. I push open the door and head inside, taking off my snow covered shoes and shaking off the snow that fell on me. I head straight up to Dylan's room, deciding to get right to the purpose of my trip here in the middle of the night.

I stand outside her room, feeling very uncertain all of a sudden. Why am I so nervous? I've been here before and I've helped her in the middle of the night after a nightmare before. I lean closer to the door to listen and see if she's awake. I hear slight whimpering telling me that she is awake.

I gently open the door and poke my head in to check the scene I'm entering. I look around the dark room, but see nothing so I push the door open further and walk fully into the room. I try to find her in the dark but I can't see anything when my eyes are not used to this lighting. Instead of turning on a light and possibly scaring her, I stand still and wait for my eyes to adjust so I can see her.