The Lucky Ones [ VII ]

"Thank you so much for letting me borrow your phone." Griffin returned it to the Canadian woman after deleting the sent messages and Oliver and Ethan's numbers. He then waited on the island with Wyvern.

Oliver appeared, blood blotched on his blue jacket and white undershirt. 

"What happened?" Griffin shot up from the big rock and dashed to Oliver's anguished face, searching his body to find where the blood came from. He waved Griffin's hand away. "It's not mine. It's not mine." He stammered as he marched back and forth.

"Whose?!"

"Bastien's."

"BASTIEN'S!? Where is he?" Griffin gripped his shoulders to steady him in place.

"He's dead."

Both Griffin's arms fell on his sides. He froze in his spot with pale shaking fists.

Wyvern slid down the rock, watching with wide eyes. Disbelieving Oliver as well.

"Where's his body— how!" Griffin demanded.

"We were dining at Marche Mouffetard food market when the bolts shot at us. I got free of the wires, he couldn't. I was gonna help him out when he was being pulled away but wires shot at me too from everywhere."

Griffin pushed him. Oliver fell on the ground, pathetic. "I put up a fight, I really did, Griff." He crouched with a contorted face, hands between his outstretched legs, like a spoiled brat who didn't get what it wanted for Christmas.

Griffin breathed hard, eyes glassy.

Ethan and Kana popped up and instantly absorbed the misery fuming on the island. "What's goi—"

"Bastien's dead." Griffin spat with a hard face.

The newcomers' mouths gaped, stressed to ask questions but nothing formed as they watched the already tensed Brits. 

Griffin, "where's the body?"

"They took it."

"Bullshit." Griffin roared out of spite.

"You know they normally do to avoid investigations from the police."

"I fucking know!"

Oliver cowered. 

"How could this happen?" Ethan asked under his breath.

The words fueled Griffin again, "why'd you let this happen, we're all supposed to have each others back!"

"I put up a fight! I did what I could to save him! How could I not!"

Griffin trudged to his face. "If you had any hard feelings against him it wouldn't have anything near worth yours!"

"I don't have any!" Oliver shot up to Griffin who stomped away yelling, "fuck! it's not our families, it's not those heartless Paladins, no one else! We all only have each other!" and disappeared. 

Ethan held the indignant Oliver back from going to the scar. He tightened his grip on his arm, "he's just grieving. We all are. You know how he was when Tom... and the others died."

"I did what I could. Ethan, Kana, believe me." He stared at the ground, hands trembling.

Ethan tapped his friend's shoulder but inside him, bitter emptiness blazed. Kana sat beside Wyvern and hugged her knees to her chest. She looked far over the horizon. It was cloudy today. Fit for what they all felt, contrary to what have been a sunny start of the day where she jumped from.

Griffin returned dripping wet from head to toe and more pallid than he normally was. When he leaned his back against the rock beside Wyvern, she felt the icy zephyr exuding from his clothes.

He started with a calmer voice. "The blood's been dry on your clothes for a while now. Why didn't you call us when it happened?"

Oliver replied with his back to them. "We couldn't have done anything—" 

"You don't know that. We could have. I could have. I'm willing to... a little trace of information of who they were and where their bases are..."

"If we follow them they can sense us."

Wyvern felt Griffin barking, 'I fucking know' again but only heartaches throbbed loud on the island.

"I was grieving too..." Oliver muttered. "We've been partners for years."

-0-0-0-0-0-

Credits to DiscoverWalks.com for the attached image and the brief description.  Marche Mouffetard is listed as the most traditional in the top 5 food markets in Paris.