new neighbor - calum

I yawned loudly as I made my way downstairs. It was a usual Saturday morning; I woke up at 2 to eat the entire kitchen cabinet before returning to my bed to hibernate.

"Good afternoon," my mom greeted me in the kitchen, sorting through the groceries she must've just bought. I nodded in her general direction, too sleepy to respond. I poured myself a hefty bowl of cereal and sat down to inhale it.

"I have a favor to ask you," my mom spoke while leaning on the cabinet door. I swirled my cereal and milk with my spoon.

"What is it?" I sighed.

"Oh, don't be like that," my mom stepped over to me and ruffled my hair. "While I was unpacking the groceries I noticed that the people who bought the Andrew's house finished moving in today."

"What does that have to do with me?" I muttered.

"You get to go great them. Be nice, say hello, bring them the basket on the counter. And don't embarrass us please," my mom listed off before I even agreed.

"Fine," I rolled my eyes before getting up to put my empty bowl in the sink. "I'm going to get dressed."

I moped up the stairs and around my room before throwing on a different pair of underwear, shorts, and tank. I scraped my hair into a quick pony and jogged down the stairs. I was a bit more awake now and my miserable mood began to dissipate.

I snatched the basket from the counter, calling a quick goodbye to my mom, before strolling out the door.

I glanced at the house across the street. The Andrew's used to live there. They were a small family of 5, with a boy my age named Ben. I smirked remembering the things I'd done in that house. I'd miss Ben.

I rang the doorbell, bouncing on my toes and swaying the basket at my side. A boy, looking no more than 19 opened the door. He was sporting a tank top and shorts and was tanned and built.

"Hey, I'm from across the street," I smiled warmly. "Are your parents home?"

He crossed his arms and scoffed. "Parents?"

"Well, I mean you don't live alone do you?" I tried not to sound as rude as he did.

"Actually," he leaned on the wood outlining the doorway. "I do."

"Well, then this is for you," I thrust the basket forward and he rolled his eyes.

"Come on," he turned and walked into the house. I followed him, annoyed at his semi-rude behavior.

I followed him down the familiar hall and into the kitchen where he sat casually on the bar stool.

"You can put it on the counter," he told me, swirling on his seat. I placed the basket on the counter and stood awkwardly.

"What are you doing?" he questioned. "Sit down." I cocked an eyebrow at him. "I have to get to know my neighbors don't I?" he questioned.

I shrugged and plopped on the seat next to him, confused by his sudden mood change. I glanced around the familiar room filled with unfamiliar stuff. He looked like he moved all his furniture in, but some boxes lay scattered around.

"So," he spoke. I snapped my attention back to him. "What's your name?"

"Y/N, yours?"

"Calum," he didn't pause before his next question. "How old are you?"

"Just turned 18," I answered. "How old are you? You seem a bit young to be living at home."

"20," he told me, eyes trained on me. "I ran into some family money so I didn't have to go to college."