Chapter 8 -New Information-

***Kian POV***

I found Wren playing on his phone in his dorm room. "Hey, can I come in?" Wren looked up, surprised to see me there, He shrugged and let me in. 

"You're not being a total gay with Emris." I felt my face turn a bit pink and Wren laughed. "I'm joking, but seriously it's kinda cute." He said, putting his phone down. "But I assume you didn't just come for no reason. What's up?" 

"Emris seemed kinda sad today, and I don't know why. I want to ask but I have a feeling he doesn't like me prying. So I was wondering if you could tell me if there's anything that could be making Emris feel like this." 

Wren drew in a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "Well that's a long story. Are you sure you want to hear it?" I nodded. "So Emris' family hasn't always been on the greatest terms. His dad had been divorced from another woman before meeting his mom. He married her and his previous two kids moved in. But everyone argues a lot in their house. It's not a normal day at home unless someone argues over something." I nodded. 

"But lately his dad isn't home most of the time, practically moved out. He still helps pay the bills and all that, but he's just almost never there. I've been friends with Emris for years, and I've probably only seen his dad twice. And I was there two out of the three times Emris had ever really even seen him." I never would have thought Emris had come from a background like that since he always seemed so cheerful.

"And his mom is working multiple jobs to be able to support them extra curricular wise. But Emris is the one who usually takes care of everyone else left. He has a little sister and his two older siblings, his half siblings, both are kinda rough people. And his family also doesn't really support LGBT+ so when they found out, Emris was kinda distanced as the outcast. I think personally that's stupid. He's their family, not some stranger paying rent in their family." 

"I heard Emris talking in the dorm earlier, and I heard that someone was in the hospital." Wren sighed again. 

"Emris probably doesn't want many people to know this, but who do you have to give it to other than to the others in our group who already know about this. And I doubt you'll go back to that Michael kid. But his grandfather on his mom's side is sick in the hospital and his dad doesn't want to help pay, but he does help a little, which is better than nothing. So they're thinking about either pulling Emris from camp or sending his siblings over to stay while their parents figure everything out."

I fiddled with my phone in my hands, mostly shocked about how difficult Emris' life was. Everything seemed so happy go lucky with him. "Well thanks, I think I'll head back now." I stood up but then felt Wren's hand on my shoulder. 

"Don't pry him on this unless he is willing to tell you, okay? He gets very sensitive over these things so watch your steps carefully." Wren said. Then he let me go. I said goodbye and went back up to the dorm. I listened for any sound and didn't hear anything, so I walked in. Emris was folding a turtle from a blue post it note. 

"Hey," I said. "Are you okay?" Emris continued folding his turtle, not saying anything. I sat down next to him after I put the small container from the camp nurse on my desk. I sat down next to him and we sat quietly together for a long time. 

Finally he broke the silence. "Grandpa's sick," He said. "He's in the hospital." Emris smiled warily and for the first time I could see the tiredness in his eyes. He put his head on my shoulder and closed his eyes and I could feel the worry from him. I put my arm around him and we sat in a simple silence until it was time for dinner. 

Suddenly a knock sounded from the door. Emris had fallen asleep on my shoulder, his soft hair tickling my neck. I pulled a pillow closer and laid Emris out on the bed. He was fast asleep, and once he was lying on the bed I went to answer the door. 

A/N: Hello! I hope this wasn't too depressing of a chapter, poor Emris. He's one of my favorites. Oh well. I still have things up my sleeve! Stay on your toes! 

-Miana

Ps sorry for spelling errors if there are any. I'll do a rewrite/edit/proof later or as needed/if I feel like it so yeah.