25.

Cole's POV chapter 23

After Julia heads to her room I look around the table at her family and friend.

Why isn't anyone going after her?

I'm about to stand when Veronica looks at me and says. "When she gets like that, she wants to be alone. There's a lot of things I've learnt over the years living with her and one thing is that when she wants to be alone she wants to be alone without any interruptions. She'll cool down by morning."

Liam stands up and he grabs Veronica's hand. "Let's go upstairs. I want to have some fun with you."

Veronica giggles. "Okay," she lets him lead her to the bedroom.

Mrs. Harris looks at Antwon and I. "You two can do the dishes." She stands up and kisses Antwon's head and then mine. "Thanks, kids. I'm going to have a drink and then read a book."

Mr. Harris doesn't say anything to us as he leaves the room. He closes the door that leads into the living room and he says. "How can you treat our daughter like hell and then treat that boy like he's your own blood."

"That boy, needs a family. He lost his own one and I want to show him what it's like to have a proper family. We've all heard the stories about his parents."

She doesn't know anything about my family and I don't want her to talk about it with her husband of all people.

Antwon places his hand on my shoulder. "Mom's not going to reveal a lot to Dad. He needs to know why she's taken you under her wings. Come on let's do the dishes and then we'll play C.O.D."

"Okay," I grab some plates from the table and walk into the kitchen. I wash the dishes and put them in the dish rack.

Antwon dries and puts the dishes away. We wipe down the table before walking to his bedroom.

I look at the door across from his and see Julia's light is off.

Is she asleep?

For the rest of the night we play C.O.D. I start to feel tired and look at Antwon. "I'm going to go home."

He shakes his head. "Stay the night. I'll see if Veronica is going to use the spare room."
"Okay,"

Antwon walks out of the room and he knocks on Liam's door. "Is Veronica using the spare room tonight?"

I don't hear a response from Liam.

Antwon walks into the room and climbs back onto the bed. "The rooms all yours."

"Thanks," I stand up and walk down the hall to the spare room.

Closing the door I climb into bed and fall asleep.

In the middle of the night I am woken by someone gasping for air and coughing

In the middle of the night I am woken by someone gasping for air and coughing. I stand up and walk to the door. Opening the door I walk down the hall and hear the tap turn on Julia's room.