Chapter 19

The landing flight to New York City was rough. There was so much turbulence, I thought I was going to combust when my body popped off the seat.The landing flight to New York City was rough. There was so much turbulence, I thought I was going to combust when my body popped off the seat. Ken reassured me that everything was okay. I was kinda grateful for that considering how scared I was.

It is now 2am, and we have landed just outside New York. I don't want to be in public at the moment. I must look like a crack head. I can practically feel the bags hanging from my lower eyes, and my back feels as if I had been beaten my gang members.

Once we had grabbed our luggage from the baggage claim, mom opt for a cab cat for transportation. Ken wanted a rental. What he doesn't know, but should is that my mother hates spending money that she doesn't need too. I agree. Besides, we would be better off getting around in a cab anyways.

"It's going to take is forever to get one," Danny whines.

"Ken will handle it. Just make sure you have all of your bags." While we double check the number of bags we have, Ken waves down a taxi in a matter of minutes.

"Just put the bags in the trunk. It's 20 minutes to the hotel." His words come out rushed. Mom traces her fingers around his face.

"Good job honey," she says planting a kiss on his mouth. Danny and I share a silent look with each other. Neither of us are comfortable yet with their PDA.

Mom did a pretty nice job picking out a hotel. The bed sheets are soft and caress my skin in warmth. Danny and I are sharing a bed but I don't mind. Her light rhythmic breathing puts me to sleep instantly.

I awake refreshed...and late. I was supposed to awake at 10 in the morning today, but instead I woke up at 10:30. Mom, Danny, and Ken aren't in the room. I look at my phone. No messages.

After I rush to get on my clothes, my phone rings.

"Where are you guys?" I ask exasperated.

"In the lobby." The husky voice tells me it's Ken.

"You couldn't have woken me up?"

"We thought a little more sleep would do you good." No! I want to spend every waking moment exploring the city! Not sleeping!

"I'll be down in 5 minutes." I hang up the phone.

"Sorry honey. I thought you would want to sleep in," mom says. She doesn't sound sincere.

"It's fine. Let's just go. We've waisted enough time."

When I step out of the lobby, I am in awe. Everything is shimmering in different colors. Reds, greens, strips of buildings covered in moving advertisements. I don't think I've ever seen so many people at once in my entire life. So many different people as well. Different cultures, and colors. And the smell...I could definitely live here for four years. Maybe more.

"Where do you want to go first?" mom asks. Ken already has a cab waiting for us.

"Ken, you used to live here. Show us the best of the best." I can tell I boosted up his ego. What is it with men always wanting to be in charge?

There is no thick New York accent cliche taxi driver. Instead, a very old man with barely any teeth is driving us. He's sulking in his chair, and his eyes are glossed over. Very old. Too old to be driving a taxi in one of the busiest cities in the world.

"Where to?" Ken hands him 40 dollars.

"Times Square," he replies. I can't contain my excitement. I guess we're going shopping first. When I peer at Danny, her eyes are lit up and locked on the foreign world outside.