the only exception. | stenbrough.

when i was younger
i saw my daddy cry
and curse at the wind
he broke his own heart
and i watched
as he tried to reassemble it

Bill was only five years old. He didn't need to hear such strong words. He didn't need to know the story of his little brother. He didn't need to know it was his Dad who was sobbing in the living room.

Some brown liquid filled his glass. Frowning, he didn't understood what it was, because coke and pepsi are darker than that, and you don't drink coffee out of a glass. Either way, coffee is dark, too.

 It wasn't until, filled with rage, his dad smashed the glass against the nearest wall that the smell hitted him.

Alcohol. 

His parents would drink it when they were with friends but didn't let Bill do it.

"Damn it!" A scream made Bill jump where he was, at the top of the stairs. "Damn her and that fucking child! Damn the fucking bastard's father!" And more like those kept coming, just to end up in sobs, an unbearable crying. 

But he stayed there. Watching as his father cried harder and harder, just to find an end to it, sighing loudly, not acknowledging his son watching him from above.

Slowly, he got up, out of the living room, only to return with a broom and pick up the pieces of the glass scattered across the floor. His regret was obvious, even to little Bill, who just thought Dad had a bad day, that's it. 

And, as his father sat down in the couch once more, he decided to go up.

and my momma swore
that she would never let herself forget
and that was the day that I promised
id never sing of love
if it does not exist

As he was passing to his room, he felt another sob, this time coming from their parents bedroom?

Was it still theirs?

He was too little to think that. But he did. Just like he knew everything that was going on, understood it, and never spoke about it.

Opening sneakily the door, he saw his mom on the bed, holding her stomach, where his brother from her mother was, but he knew it was not his fathers son. Though he was still his brother, right?

Looking more closely, he noticed his mom arms were loosely around her stomach, and he thought he knew why he saw red coming out from her wrist; he had been holding it so tight her forearms were bleeding. Though he found odd how she had several red lines instead of one little mark.

"I can't do this to Bill, I can't..." A sob. "I can't leave, no, I can't...I can't do this to the baby, no, I-" Her sobs became more constant. 

But it was "I'm a coward." the sentence that she repeated over and over again, not noticing Bill on the door.

After less than a minute, he went back to his room, laying upon his bed with the sheets over him.