XXV - Vengeance

My hand's initial reflex was to go straight for the gun hidden in my waist, yet I had to force myself not to give my plan away

My hand's initial reflex was to go straight for the gun hidden in my waist, yet I had to force myself not to give my plan away. Loki's face was paler than ever,

"Stop." I let out quickly, faking concern to cover the inevitable anger forming in my chest due to him standing right in front of me. "Stop this."

There he was. More likely guiltless than anything, even after what he had done. I had to coerce myself into not clenching my fists for, given how still and motionless the entire room was, we were, he would have noticed even the slightest movement that disagreed with my cover; I had to pretend not being as incredibly furious as I was. Above all, I had to pretend not wanting to kill him right there and then. That was the hardest.

Finally, the man was able to blink and straighten in the spot. "Do you still believe you can?" I shook my head and stepped closer, only to be prevented from talking. "You cannot stop this."

Suddenly, a loud noise from outside of the building made both of our heads turn. The sight was terrifying: robot-like entities flew across the sky, creating an echo of civilian screams. There was absolute chaos out there in the streets. Only then did I notice the broken window, which could only reveal what had happened to Tony before he ordered me to step in.

As I faced Loki, I found the slightest sad smirk on his lips. "It has already begun." He finished his thought.

Taking a deep breath, gaining strength I didn't know I was lacking, I made myself take another step forward.

"I'm sorry, Karina." His choice of the way to address me was startling, as I was expecting something more manipulative, like 'love' or such. "You've got to give up on attempting to change me."

"I don't want to change you." I lied.

And so, the farce began.

He mildly tilted his head. "What are you here to do, then?" he questioned me, confusion rising to his eyes, mixing with a hint of frustration.

I gazed into his pupil, walking closer to him by the second. "I'm here to understand." I lied again, slowing my pace when our bodies were near enough, to avoid colliding. "You have your reasons. Make me understand."

I could feel Loki's heartbeat pick up its pace. He definitely was not prepared for any of this. "I find... that hard to believe." He spoke through gritted teeth.

This disjunctive meant to him something I had not seen coming: it was hurting him. Seeing me so close and not knowing if it was for real caused him more pain I could have imagined, and it was a pleasant surprise, this result of the plan. I even felt the vendetta starting to accomplish.

"You don't have to believe me, Loki." I tilted my head, putting on a saddened expression. "I just... can't seem to..."

"What?" the prince spat, fear and mixed emotions clear as water on his contorted face. "Can't seem to what?"