I - Do not pursue

LOKI'S POV

The morning passed by dull as per usual. Everyone seemed to be fulfilling their own tasks, everyone was busy, and I was meant to go on with my daily routine of improving my magic, learning and practicing. My brother, on the other half, had probably started off by drinking before noon and then had gone practice his fighting skills.

"Loki" my mother's voice rang through the hallway. I turned around to face her; she wore a yellow day gown and a side braid, as well as her usual jolly expression.

"Good day, mother" I smiled at her, which she returned. I had not expect to see her until midday. She walked up to me and grabbed my hands in that tender way she knew all too well.

"Good day, son" she greeted back, letting go of me and returning to her appropriate distance. "Have you seen your brother?" she asked.

"I have not. He must be training by this hour" I responded truthfully, forcing myself to not let my disappointment escape my tone. Thor seemed to be in every topic of discussion the past few days.

I could not even recall what was it that he had done this time, since everything appeared to be a reason to celebrate the man. My feelings towards him the past time had not been of rage, for I deeply cared for him, but instead I reckoned I had become jealous. Perhaps if a small portion of his recognition landed towards me I wouldn't be so bitter about his insignificant achievements.

My mother could always sense this jealousy. "Don't be evil with him" she commanded me with a grin. "I know he has been a tad arrogant lately, but that doesn't make you free to trick him".

"I have not played any tricks on him for years, I believe" I recalled, tilting my head. "Now what is it that requires him?"

"Your father means to talk to both of you before supper. Why don't you let him know yourself?" Her motherly gaze could oblige you to do anything, especially when she asked so politely and with such a loving voice.

I sighed in acceptance, nodding to her proposal. "I will, mother."

I disliked the training patio, therefore I avoided it as much as I could; it would be filled with soldiers praising my brother, his everlasting companions who also called themselves my friends but never ceased to mock me whenever they had the chance, and whatnot. I much preferred learning the dark arts rather than armory and physical fighting, even if I had to perfect the last one every other day. I walked up to the place, for I knew Thor would be there. As a matter of fact, as soon as I got there, I saw him nearly get beaten over by the Lady herself. I approached him so that he could hear me mock him.

"A graceful defeat, brother" I said loudly from beside the arena, staring down at his laying body while Sif's sword pointed directly to his chest.

Thor laughed as the woman gave him a hand to help him stand. "Put your armor on, then she can defeat you" he jokingly said, recovering from the fight.

"I'd prefer not to, but I appreciate the offer" I snapped back, slowly walking closer to him but avoiding to get into the fighting arena not to distract any soldier's practice. "I've only come to give you a message"

"You can tell me after you've won" my brother continued to try and convince me, this time to challenge him, throwing a sword at me, which I luckily caught mid-air.

I smiled to the ground, because of how persistent he managed to be when it came to bothering me. "I won't. Would you just-"

"Come on!" he continued, backing away so that I had to step forward to speak to him. "You never train with me, give me the pleasure would you" his cocky attitude was doing nothing but exasperating me at the moment.

Sif laughed in approval of said behavior. I on the other hand, had no interest in pursuing this childish joke and merely wanted to go back to my studying. "Just listen" I almost pleaded, although never lost my temper.

"You'll have to catch me" he smirked, then bent his sword as he walked away from me.

I rolled my eyes, then stepped into the arena to fetch him for once and for all. "Brother, I..." as soon as I found myself in between practicing soldiers, a piece of armory flew too close to my head, forcing me to bend down quickly in order to avoid practically get beheaded.

I turned around to see a young lady looking rather confused, yet at the last moment realized what had just happened and proceeded to freeze entirely while staring me up and down.

"Prince Loki" her voiced revealed terror, while my brother's and Sif's seemed rather amused. "I am... I apologize, I did not-"

I decided to interrupt her and free her from her misery. "It was entirely my fault, milady" my hands went to rearrange my hair as an act of inertia. "Or, my brother's, really."

I sensed her breath again, as if she had held it for that whole time. She took her helmet off to disclose dark wavy hair framing her face. The lady couldn't hide a small smile, probably out of relief, then spoke up but still had a scared tone.

"Is your majesty alright?" She lowered her head in sign of respect and, quite obviously, shame. I realized she knew what the answer was but asked with etiquette reasons or simply to shake off the regret. "Did I... hurt you?"

I shook my head. "Intact. Do not worry." As soon as the words escaped my lips, she looked up, a smile plastered on her face, entirely relieved.

"I expect you not to think of this as an attempted murder, my prince." She joked.

Before I could even laugh, Thor stepped in. "Not with that aim, he won't. Keep practicing" he ordered her in between chuckles.

The lady grinned at both of us and slightly bowed. "If you'll excuse me" she turned around to continue her training.

After the small spectacle, my brother decided to collaborate and stop joking, so he walked up to me as we exited the arena to avoid any other accidents. Lady Sif accompanied us as well, but she was still laughing under her breath, clearly too amused by what just had happened.

"You see, lady Sif? You can be a soldier and still have manners" my intentions were not to praise the woman who had almost killed me but to mock Sif so that she shut up.

"She isn't a soldier. Nor does she fight like one" she corrected me, also making fun of her skills.

"She's not?" My obvious interest in her began to show.

My brother could tell, therefore placed his hand on my shoulder, letting me know he would meddle like a good brother does. "She's a noble. She's only fulfilling basic training as she should. Her parents want her only to get married off"

"And you know this, why?"

He slightly giggled. "Because mother told me this long ago when I wanted to court her"

I rolled my eyes and removed his hand from my shoulder. "By court you mean dishonor her"

It did not surprise me that he had backed away once he found out she was meant to marry innocent, for Thor had no interest in love, but instead preferred taking women to bed. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done that before, though.

"Don't worry brother, lady Karina never landed an eye on me." He still had a cocky attitude, even when talking about being rejected; it was almost a talent. However, I was grateful to find out her name. "But unless you wish to marry her, do not pursue."