Chapter Ten - A certain beginning

To say I didn't want to wake up today would be an understatement, I'd rather just turn to Dust and be done with this day all together, but here I am, in the back seat with Nicole and Eno on our way to the Council of 50. It's roughly eight in the morning Nicole is as she put it, "resting her eyes", to which I let her rest on my shoulder, while Eno kept his eyes on his notebook, guess he's studying what he plans to say. I rest my head on Nicole's, I wonder if he wrote anything about me and my changes, the Council will absolutely ask about, I sigh and decide to ignore the urge to ask him what may happen. The drive was slow, traffic was a mess, I guess even being a Council guard doesn't mean anything when faced with this rush hour. I smile, funny how rush hour moves at such a slow speed I kept my hat low being with this guard so he doesn't get a good look at me and to avoid an unwanted questions. I'm almost certain he has seen my cracks but since the guards were never one for conversation he didn't bother asking. I feel Nicole moving slightly, I place my left hand on hers. I look to Eno, he's a mess, I can almost feel how tired he is, he must've stayed up all night working on what he plans to say to the Council to help bring some positive movement for the Outcasts.

"So, have you decided what you are going to say to the Council?" Eno asked as he whispered to not annoy Nicole as she is still resting, I shrug shaking my head slightly, I doubt they'll just let you walk after getting a good look at you I sigh,

"So, when that comes I'll figure something out. But look at your Soul, you think they'll let either of you will walk away smoothly? They may not notice your changes but Nicky has grown so much since that day." I stop a moment as Nicole moved a bit more but not opening her eyes,

"No matter what happens, we will be right by your side." Nicole said in a tired but serious tone,

"Nicky... I thought you were sleeping." She chuckles,

"Resting my eyes doesn't mean I was sleeping." Eno shakes his head,

"No matter what happens, the Council will turn us if we tried to fight against their orders when they want to speak with only you. We can promise all we want but even you have to admit our lives are best lived and not swept away. So for now play it cool and don't lose yourself in front of them." He was right, I slump down in my seat, I hated that he was right, "It may not seem fair," how'd he know what I was going to say, I thought to myself as he continued, "We must pick our fights when we have a clear victory. What we're going to walk into today is not one we can win. Keep yourself together for our sakes." Nicole adjusts herself to sit more comfortably,

"I get it Eno, I just dont know what the Council will say or how they'll react so I can't really prepare myself to avoid an overreaction. It isn't easy when I can't see them clearly." He didn't respond, he knew exactly what I meant, no one has ever seen a Council member, there was that one time where we came close to one but even then I couldn't see anything. "Self-proclaimed leaders who dont show their faces shouldn't be in charge, they need to be removed, swept away just like so many others they've deemed unfit for this world." I ball up both my hands into tight fists, "It shouldn't be this way!" Nicole grabs my right hand, I sit up quickly, "Sorry. I...." my Souls was moving slowly, any longer and well maybe this car would be rammed into the back of this cargo truck.

"Sarah, please just try and ignore those thoughts." Nicole said softly, I shake my head,

"I shouldn't... It'll just come out on you two and I don't want to hurt you.... But I'll try." I spoke softly and calm as the driver turned on to a side road and got us to the Judgement House, its been months since I've been here, after that Harold guy back in school was turned to Dust, I hoped I would never step foot in here again yet here I am. The guard led us in the building Nicole and I walked behind Eno as he and the guard entered the large room where the Council were already waiting, facing down at us as we walked in. I felt uneasy but Nicole holds my left hand softly, I look at her as she gives a soft smile I take a deep breath and try to calm down.