Motionless

3rd Person 

It wasn't until Sky took one last look around 24th street did he see him. At first, he had not recognized Josh, but when he approached the still body, he gasped at the sight of his brother lying motionless on the floor. He quickly rushed over to his friend, immediately spotting the blood that was oozing out of Josh's forehead into the cracks of the pavement like scarlet rivers. 

He pressed his fingers to Josh's neck, searching for any sign of life in his friend. Air immediately filled his lungs once more when he found the steady rhythm of a heartbeat pulsing through his neck. 

He turned Josh over, sliding his head into his lap. Sky had then proceeded to rip off a bit of cloth from his shirt, pressing it against the wound in an effort to stop the bleeding. Using his other hand, he pulled out his phone, hastily dialing Ben. 

The conversation was quick, only given the most prioritized information at that given time. But the phone call had sent off an immediate chain reaction, phone call after phone call spreading the news. But no one was sure if it was good news or bad news. Sky most of all.

"You'll be alright buddy," he whispered to his best friend, closed-eyed, lying in his lap. He proceeded to stroke his hair more for his comfort than Josh's. "I'll make sure of it." 

Despite Ben receiving the news of Josh's rescue, Grace had been the first to arrive. She immediately flagged Sky down, Chaz following close behind. She knelt down beside Sky, staring at one of the only father figures in her life. She sucked in a silent breath, steadying herself as to not have another breakdown. 

"He'll be alright won't he?" Chaz asked, kneeling down on the other side of Sky. 

"Yeah, he's got us." It was rather more of a question that a statement, Sky wasn't sure if he had been there enough for Josh through the diagnosis, but he vowed to himself that he would be more involved from now on. He couldn't let this happen again. He did not blame Ben, or Grace or Lizzy. He blamed himself. He should have been there. 

They remained silent, staring at their sleeping friend. They had received a few unwelcomed grunts from pedestrians who had to move around them as they cradled their unconscious friend. Sky had scowled at a few of them, disgusted that passers-by were being so inconsiderate. It was not his fault that they were blocking the way, but he was hardly going to move Josh, whose head was still bleeding. 

It was about 10 minutes later when Ben arrived at the scene, sweating buckets. He ignored his burning chest as he knelt down next to Josh, who appeared to be peacefully asleep aside from the crimson blood that stained his forehead. 

"You think we should get him to A&E?" Sky inquired, looking to Ben for leadership in the situation. 

"Honestly," he panted, running his hands through his damp curls, "I think it might freak him out more if he wakes up in hospital. He has to go in next week so we'll tell them then, and if he gets worse we'll go in, but I don't want to stress him out." 

Everyone nodded at his response, not arguing about it. It wasn't much later that Lizzy pulled up in a car, the car that would take Josh home. Sky draped one of Josh's hands around his neck, promptly picking him up, cradling the sleeping man in his arms. 

Ben climbed in first, taking Josh from Sky and settling his body so that his head was in his lap. Grace clambered into the front after placing the picnic basket into the boot and waving goodbye to Chaz who began to meander in the other direction glad that his friend was safe. 

"Ready?" Lizzy asked the boys in the back, making sure that everything was okay before setting off. 

"Drive slow."