Chapter 7

Emmy scoots over to make room for me on the bench as we sit down. She hasn't stopped talking since we've gone through the lunch line, but that's fine with me—we're having a pretty important conversation.

"The movie is so different from the book!" Emmy's finally caught up in our latest fandom. "It's barely even the same story!"

"Now do you see why all the fans are upset?" I take another bite of meatloaf—it's not my favorite, but I'm grateful for the hot meal when it's so chilly outside. It didn't take long for the leaves to fall off our tree after the dance, and we eventually had to eat in the cafeteria instead.

Emmy nods and gestures with her fork. "They absolutely blew it. It could have been so much better! Not to mention—"

"Wow, Emmy, what's got you so talkative?" Hannah walks over, cutting her off.

Emmy pauses and furrows her brow. "What? I'm just talking with Henry."

"Well yeah, we're friends, aren't we?" I glance at Emmy as soon as the words come out of my mouth. She catches my gaze, then continues eating. Hannah shrugs and sits down.

Why did I say that? I stare at my tray. 'Friends'? It's not like I could have said anything else... My cheeks heat up. Well, I guess I could have, but then I'd basically be admitting that...I bite the inside of my cheek as Emmy twirls her fork. Will she think that we're only friends, and nothing else?

My gut lurches as I realize this is the first time I've really thought this way. Is that what I want to happen? Being more than just friends? I poke my food with my fork. But that'd mean we were dating, which means I'd have to tell Emmy how I feel—I don't think I'm ready for that. Everything would change.

Assuming she'd like me back, that is. Rejection would make everything a thousand times worse. Our whole friend group might even fall apart.

I abandon the meatloaf and drink some chocolate milk. How am I even so sure that I like her? How's she any different than anybody else? I try to dispel the churning feeling in my stomach, but I can't fool myself. I just don't think I can muster up the courage yet. What would I even say? Emmy and Hannah laugh at one of Jacob's bad puns, and my heart speeds up. I can't wait forever though, so—

"Henry!"

Emmy calls my name and startles me out of my thoughts. "Did you hear what I just said?"

My face flushes, and I shake my head. "My bad; I spaced out."

"It's okay!" Emmy smiles. "I was just explaining to Hannah about that movie—"

"Oh yeah, the one you just saw." I rejoin the conversation. At least for now, things are normal enough. A tiny thought echoes in the back of my mind. How long will that last?

Author's Note: This chapter was a bit shorter, but I hope you enjoyed it all the same! Thank you so much for reading; I'm very excited about where this story is going so far!