Chapter 10

A wave of heat hits my face as I hop out of the car. It feels weird being at school in the summer. Mom presses the lock on her key and tucks the packet of permission forms under her arm. "Let's hurry inside; the temperature's only getting hotter."

     I nod and follow her across the parking lot. As we near the door, I hear flip-flops approaching behind me. Someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn around. "What—Emmy! Hey."

       "Hi, Henry." She stares straight ahead and reaches up to pull down her bun as her parents catch up to mine. I watch her try to fix it, but she finally gives up in frustration and pulls her hair back into a regular braid. "I don't want my hair to touch my neck. It's too hot."

     "The air's on in here." I hold the door open for her and cross my fingers; I'm not actually sure. Judging by how it was at the dance, I shouldn't get my hopes up—but a blast of cool air rushes out, and I sigh in relief.

     "Wow; you're right about that." Emmy rubs her arms, goosebumps spreading over her bare skin. "It's way better than outside."

      Aw man, should I have brought my jacket? I could've given it to her... "At least the meeting is supposed to be short," we take the lead and direct our parents to our classroom. "I'm kind of excited; we've never been on a trip like this. What about you?"

     "I don't know," Emmy blows a strand of hair out of her face. "My parents made me sign up." She scuffs her shoe on the ground as we file into our seats.

     "It'll look good for colleges, though," I give her a nudge. "That's why I'm going. Apparently you can get offered some scholarships."

     Emmy sighs and slumps over in her chair. "Its a whole week, though..."

     I take the desk next to her. "I know some other people who signed up—hey, is that Delaney and Troy?"

     Emmy perks up and turns to the door, waving when she sees them. They come over to us, and I grin. "See? We're not the only ones."

     Troy yawns as Emmy leans over to hug Delaney. "You got roped into this, too?"

     "I wouldn't call it that," I shrug. "Why, do you not wanna be here?"

     "It's just so much hassle," he complains, flinging himself into a chair.

     "That, and you're annoyed you had to wake up before noon," Delaney counters, twirling a keychain around her finger.

     Emmy notices. "Ooh, what's that?"

     "The keys to my mom's car. I just got my license last week." Delaney pockets them and grins.

     "Yeah, and since I can't take the test for three months you have to drive me to school!" Troy pokes her.

     Delaney scoots away. "You better not fail, then."

     "I haven't even taken the class yet," Emmy groans.

     I drum my fingers on the table. "I'm taking it this summer; I've heard it's not too bad."

     Delaney nods. "Yeah; it was was easier than I thought it would be."

     "But you studied." Troy pulls his hoodie over his head.