Chapter 8

I stare at the packet on my desk and resign myself to the situation. The words Comprehensive Spring Exam Study Guide glare back at me in big, bold letters. I flip it open to the first section and take out a pencil, sighing to myself. Let's get this over with.

     After a few pages in, time seems to slow down. How long is this thing? I spot Emmy out of the corner of my eye. She sits across the room, her brow creased as she erases her work. Emmy brushes off her paper and sighs before looking up and catching my gaze. She gives me a small smile and turns back to her assignment.

     With reluctance, I do the same. Class drags on. I notice a stray strand of hair come loose from her braid. Emmy's too focused to notice. She eventually tucks it behind her ear, but it won't stay.

     What is the main idea of the...half an hour later, my eyes start to glaze over. The number of pages doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. Someone grumbles behind me as I get up to sharpen my pencil—I'm feeling about the same way. I wonder if Emmy's doing any better.

     When I look in her direction, I see Emmy lay her head down on her desk. Her posture snaps back straight as soon as the teacher moves around the room. She rubs her eyes, and I go back to my seat. When does this class end again?

     I turn another page of my packet. Aw man, this is due soon, isn't it? I try to speed through some of the questions to make things easier. This is only one subject, too; at this rate I'll have to finish over the weekend. I'd almost rather bang my head against the wall.

     Instead, I yawn and stretch against the back of my seat. Maybe I can just do a couple more pages. I sit up in effort to concentrate and start reading another question. Every time I glance at the clock, it seems to move more slowly. I make a mark on one choice before changing my mind. No, maybe it's this one. But the first one could also be the answer...

     I'm saved from a potential headache by a noise across the classroom. I look up to see Emmy grabbing her packet before it tumbles off the desk. The papers flap everywhere, only held together by a measly staple, but she manages. Emmy breathes a sigh of relief and settles back into her seat, her eyes flickering over at me. She waves and draws out the movement, grateful for the distraction.

     I grin back, but then I feel my cheeks start to heat up and turn back to face my desk. It's suddenly hard to concentrate. My pencil fumbles in my hands. It's no use. I put the pencil down and start packing up. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Emmy still smiling. When the teacher passes by her desk, she goes back to her work again, shooting one last glance at the clock, and then at me.

     Warmth floods my face as I zip up my bag, and I realize. Crud, I really DO like her.

Author's Note: Another week, another chapter—it was shorter, but I hope you liked it. Look at our boy Henry, catching all these feelings; they grow up so fast! Hahaha, but in all seriousness, thank you so much for reading! See you next time!