Chapter 7: Moving on? (Chara POV)

I woke up enveloped in warmth, and for a moment I thought that Asriel had had a nightmare and made me sleep in his bed with him again. But these hands were hands and had no fur. And the ground was hard and cold. 

Right, I was in the shed, with Frisk and Flowey. Not Asriel. 

I wiggled away from Frisk, replacing myself with a pillow as I exited the shed and walked into the house to get some food. Sans was passed out on the couch still, and I heard Papyrus snoring upstairs. Good, I woke up right on time. I got my and the others food and left again, dropping it off before heading to Mom's door. 

Yes, I talked to her. When Sans said he found a human and she knew none had passed through the Ruins, she put two and two together and asked to speak to me through the door. So that was my daily routine. 

Wake up early, sneak food, talk to mom until Sans makes me leave.

I knocked on the door "Knock knock."

I heard Mom gasp in delight. I must have been a bit late today, then.

"Hehe, who is there?" she asked

"...bone."

"Bone who?" 

"Please stop trying to bone the skeleton," I said, and heard her gasp from embarrassment. 

"My love life is none of your business, my child." She said defensively

"No, but its really freaking weird seeing you try to have sex with someone I am technically older than."

I could almost hear the eye-roll "Are you calling me old?" 

"Of course not, Mom," I said with a smile, sitting down in the snow. "So...Frisk," I said. I needed to know what Frisk had done in the Ruins. I trusted them, yes, but better safe than sorry.

"No one has gone missing in here, and I've found no dust. None of the monsters here are killing each other, all because of that child showing them how...wrong it was, to kill out of pettiness. They are good. 

...I'm so sorry, my child. that you must watch them-" 

"No. They...they won't die. No other kid had managed the feat of eradicating the killing in there, right? Maybe they can show enough people here that too! They already showed Sans and Papyrus they shouldn't kill. Not everyone, but enough..." 

"...I hope so. I don't wish to see this child die. They reminded me of you, you know. Such...Determination to SAVE everyone. The only thing was they had the advantage of not being bound t-to a whiny goat, right?" She asked, her voice cracking as she thought of Ariel.

I laughed, but it was forced "Y-Yeah. It's funny...Flowey likes those gummy bears almost as much as he did," 

She laughed a little and we talked for a bit, but soon it was time for me to go

"...I wish I could hug you, even just see you, oh I miss you so badly Chara."

"I..I miss you too, Mom. But we'll be able to hug sooner than you think, ok? Promise."

"Darling, please, don't make promises that you can't keep..."

"I never do," I said with confidence to her woeful statement. 

With that, I knocked three times to signal I was leaving, and I ran off to meet Frisk, who was about to go fight Papyrus.

"Frisk, wait! I jogged to catch up to them. "I- I need to talk to you before you move on to Waterfall." I said urgently, "Let's talk in Grillby's." 

With that, I pulled a Sans and teleported us there, right onto the bar stools, startling the purple fire monster 

'Chara, how many times have I told you not to- oh. Is that-'

"Yes, this is Frisk. A hot chocolate and strawberry milkshake please." I asked, interrupting him. Frisk didn't need to know he could remember, too.

He got us the drinks and as I sipped on my hot chocolate, I prepared myself to say something I had never wanted to say.

"Frisk...I can't go with you."