Chapter 13: A Parting Gift

24-2-2-4012 DM, Kanay, Telama, Hilaraya

It was the first hour of light and the streets of the Pamaya was already alive with activity. Dari could hear the bustle of people outside from the common room of The Hungry Sailor. He still felt sleepy, but they had to get up early so they can walk Amyi to the Pamaya. He was seated at a rectangular wooden table beside one of the open front windows of the common room that looked out into the busy street. Amyi was seated in front of Dari, with Jesi beside him to his right, and the Periji on the opposite side. They were breaking their fast, eating freshly baked bread with raisins with some pineapple jam. The common room felt gloomy compared to the racket that it was the night before when they came back from Lamayi's house. There were only a few people in the common room, silently breaking their fast with dazed looks in their eyes. There was no music in the air, except for the occasional tinkling sound of chimes in his ears coming from a gentle breeze that came through the open windows. The delicious aroma of frying garlic from the kitchen was starting to fill the common room, making Dari want to have fried rice and some eggs with his bread. But of course, that would be too much food, so he contented himself with his meal and ate as he watched people passing by the window.

"What ship will you be taking, Amyi?" Dari asked, finally breaking the silence.

"I don't know yet, my son. The Blue Bird with whom I spoke last night said that there are no ships that will travel directly to Arang today. He suggested that I can either take the ship to Tawili on Latyang Island, or the one to Samay on Raminta Island. Then, from either Tawili or Samay, I could take another ship to Arang. Either way, I would be home the day after the morrow, so I haven't decided yet," Amyi replied, then sipped kopi from his cup.

"Which one of them will leave first? Did they tell you?" Dari asked.

"The one to Samay. Hmm... Now that you mentioned it, maybe I should take that one. Your Anya would be worried if I didn't arrive soon," Amyi said as he rubbed his chin with right thumb.

"Do you know the ship's name, Master Rami?" Jesi asked as he nibbled on a piece of bread.

"I think it's called the Sea Dancer, or some other big fish. I don't quite remember," Amyi said shrugging.

"Oh, maybe it's the Swordfish." Jesi suggested, almost spilling milk from his cup.

"Yeah, that's right. How did you know?" Amyi asked curiously.

"My Menaji and I took that ship to Samay last cycle so we could buy some pearls there. Their pearls were bigger and pretty enough, but the pink ones you have in Arang are still the best," Jesi replied.

"Those pink pearls are starting to become very popular here. I saw many of the Janani wearing Arangi pearl jewellery, so naturally, everyone who wants to become anyone would want their own piece. Yesterday, I even saw a few pieces displayed at the window of a huge jewellery shop on my way to the Kanayi Garalahi," the Periji added as he spread jam on some bread.

"Someone told me that a Janadu from Arang showed off our pearls here in the capital last cycle. It's good to know that one of them actually cared to put Arang forward, but, of course, whoever that Janadu was, I'm certain that he or she is now greatly benefitting from the increased demand of those pearls," Amyi said, shaking his head.

"Oh, and we have to hurry, because if I remember correctly, the Swordfish will be leaving in about an hour," Amyi added as he tipped his cup.

Soon, they finished breaking fast and headed out into the streets of the harbour district on their way to the Pamaya. Dari knew that Amyi carried a lighter pack compared to the one he carried coming to Kanay. Amyi only had his own clothes and some food in his pack, but he looked as if he was dragging two sacks of rice as he walked.