Chapter 16: At the Menayagar

26-2-2-4012 DM, Janang, Telama, Hilaraya

Jesi opened his eyes and saw nothing. He wanted to sit up but his head was heavier than a horse, and he felt a sharp pain in his stomach. Suddenly, he felt a jolt of excitement mixed with panic when he realised that he could already move! With much effort, he sat up, looking around him frantically as his vision gradually became clearer. He saw that the Periji was still sprawled unconscious an arm away from him to his left and nobody else was there. He thought the Janangi would have reached them by now. As he tried to stand on his feet, he heard someone snickering to his right near the stable houses. Squinting, he saw a lakadu crouched in the shadows, carrying Dari on his back. The darkness hid his face but he knew that the lakadu was smiling darkly at him, taunting him.

Jesi felt his panic disappear. It was replaced by a pulsing rush of anger in his head. Without hesitation, he bolted towards the lakadu. He had to reach Dari. He didn't know what he would do to free his friend, but there was no time to think. Even if the Janangi were coming to help them, he couldn't wait any longer.

Sensing Jesi's movement, the lakadu ran unbelievably fast, moving from one building to another as if he carried nothing on his back. Jesi didn't want to lose sight of the lakadu, so, mustering all the strength left in his limbs, he ran after the lakadu. He chased him through the dark labyrinth of buildings that he didn't know existed in Janang. As he ran, he heard the lakadu laughing, mocking him.

Suddenly, the laughter ceased and Jesi heard something fall with a soft thud behind him. He quickly turned around with his fists up, ready to hit the lakadu, but he was stunned by what he saw. Dari was standing before him, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Jesi, it seems like you're lost," Dari said with a mischievous smile on his lips.

Jesi tried to speak, but no sound came out of his mouth.

"What? I can't hear you," Dari said as he mockingly placed the palm of his right hand behind his right ear.

Jesi slowly shook his head in disbelief. This couldn't be Dari. A doppelganger? It's not possible. Could this be an asuwadu that could imitate the appearance of people? He was certain that he saw Dari fall down and that a lakadu in black clothes took him. This doppelganger, however, wore Dari's clothes so this couldn't be the same lakadu who abducted Dari. Who or what was this?

Desperately, Jesi swung his fists at the doppelganger, hoping to hit him. He was expecting to feel pain on his right fist when he saw that he was about to hit its face, but instead, his fist went through the doppelganger's face. He stepped back in surprise. The doppelganger laughed. Jesi stepped back further but the doppelganger started to walk slowly towards him. He wanted to scream for help but he couldn't! No sound came out of his mouth!

Jesi continued to back away until he stumbled on something and fell on his back. The impact of his back hitting the compact earth sent ripples of pain throughout his body. He screamed silently as he saw the laughing doppelganger coming towards him with incredible speed. He saw it kneel before him, held him on his shoulders with both hands, and started to shake him vigorously.

"Wake up! Wake up!" the doppelganger said as he laughed.

Suddenly, Jesi felt something different. The ground on his back became soft, and the doppelganger's face changed. Dari's face melted before him and slowly morphed into the blurred face of a concerned-looking babidu. After a few seconds, his vision cleared. He saw a babidu sitting on the right side the bed. She had thin tilted grey eyes and straight silver hair that fell down her shoulders. She was holding him by the shoulders and shaking him.