Chapter 4

April 29th

The things I've heard are correct.  Vancouver is a really neat city.  You can do everything here! Hiking in the mountains, numerous ocean activities, peering through the windows of boutiques that are ridiculously high-end, walking around century-old buildings in the old part of the city... you name it, you can do it...and possibly even all in one day.  I hear skiing in the winter is also really popular.  All in all, it's just a really neat city, and I'm super glad I decided to come here.

I found a job pretty much the day I got here, and I've been working here almost every morning since.  The tourist season is just getting underway, and the local bakery and coffee shop I wandered into on my first day here was extremely busy.  They said that if I'd be willing to come in at 3 in the morning and help them bake most of their pastries and breads for the day, they'd hire me on the spot.  I don't have anything better to be doing, so here I am, working for three hours from 3-6am, every morning of the week.  It's a fun job, getting to bake every morning, but it is hard getting up that early every day.  The delicious smells more than made up for it though.

"Noah, are the white chocolate blueberry scones done?"

"Just taking them out of the oven!"  I call back over my shoulder.

I grin as I pull the pan out of the oven and place them on a wooden display tray with a pair of tongs.  I swear these things are what dreams are made of.  A perfect mixture of sweet, yet tangy goodness.  I put them with the other pastries behind the display glass and look around, making sure everything has been placed out.

"Looks great, Noah!  Thanks for running around like crazy and doing way more than normal.  Martha called in sick last minute, and I didn't have anyone else to ask."  Jason, the manager, says as he slaps me on the back.  "You're a lifesaver."

"Oh, no problem.  Anything else you need me to do?"

Jason shakes his head.  "You're free to go."  Then he looks past me, as something catches his eye in the extremely busy café.  "Why don't you go tell Taylor at the register what you want to eat and drink, then have a seat.  We'll get it ready for you."

I nod and take my apron off, hanging it on a hook before heading over to the register.  I normally don't stick around, but the smell of those scones are getting to me and I can't resist.

"Hey, Taylor, is it?  Can I get a white chocolate blueberry scone, and a wild berry latte?"

The girl behind the register smiles and nods.  "Sure thing.  Anything else?" 

"Nope, that's it."

"Okay, have a seat and it'll be right out." She says as she winks.

I nod and turn, scanning the room for an empty table.  Finally I locate one, near the counter where you pick up your orders.  I sit down and lean back, closing my eyes.  This morning has been exhausting, we had one less person than usual, and I'm completely worn out.  I hear someone put a cup down on the counter, and open my eyes to see if its mine.

"Order for..."  A guy behind the counter starts, and then pauses uncertainly.  "Kye-lan-ee?  Key-la-nye? Kiya..."

"It's Kah-lah-nee."  A girl says, and the guy at the counter stops and stares at her as she picks up her cup and walks over to a table near the window and sits down.

I watch her walk over to her table, intrigued.  It's not often that I hear a name like that.  Well, this is my first week out of the country.  Maybe they have more unique names up here.  For some reason, I cant stop myself from wondering just who this girl is.  I stand up, and walk over to her.