Chapter 20

August 25th

Honestly, it took me a few days to get used to being back in Los Angeles.  Being here still isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it's getting better.  I've spent a lot of time in front of my mom's grave, just sitting and staring at it, letting my mind wander and think about things.  I've had had a couple rougher patches where I couldn't help but cry, but Kailani has been there beside me the whole time, not intruding, but just being around so I didn't feel alone.

  I've spent quite a bit of time showing Kailani around a lot of my favorite places from when I was growing up, too.  That's been a lot of fun, not just getting to see all the places again, but getting to share them with her and watch her experience them for the first time. 

A couple days ago we went to Anacapa Island.  It's a small island, and we easily covered the entire island that day.  It was surprisingly relaxing, getting to visit some of my mom's favorite spots, and it was easy to see why she loved the spots so much, the views were spectacular. 

"We're good to go!"  Kailani says as she stands up from untying the boat from the dock and jumps aboard. 

Today we're on our way to Santa Rosa Island.  Santa Rosa is the second biggest island in California, and also very diverse.  Rare pine trees, mountain ranges, a white sand beach, 6 plant species found nowhere else in the world, even remains of an extinct species of pygmy mammoth.  You heard me, pygmy mammoth.  They stood about 6 feet tall.  And their fossils are found on an island in California.  Crazy, right?  

"How many times have you been to Santa Rosa?" 

I look up at Kailani and shrug.  "Just a couple times when I was little.  I don't remember it that much."

She grins.  "So it's basically new to both of us."

I nod in response, returning her smile.

A few hours later, we pull into the bay where we had planned to dock, and we drop anchor.  I look around at the rocks and small cliffs surrounding us slowly.  Just being in the Channel Islands brings back so many good memories of when my mom and I would just decide to bring lunch out here and sit, escaping the hustle of the city.  Kailani touches my shoulder and I turn to her with a smile.

"You okay?"  She asks warmly.

I nod.  "Yeah.  I'm actually really good.  Thanks for coming with me, and for encouraging me to come back.  It's really helped."

Kailani smiles.  "Of course.  There's no need to thank me.  You've helped me in ways you don't know, too."  Her eyes wander over the small beach a little bit away from where we're anchored, and a grin appears across her face as she turns to look back at me with a devilish look in her eyes.  "Race you."

I glance at the beach, and nod excitedly.  "You're on."

Kailani suddenly moves towards the railing, jumping into the water without even saying 'go'.  My mouth falls open and I chase after her, jumping in and yelling as I do so.

"You got a head start!"

My body hits the water, and I push up to the surface quickly. I take a deep breath, and then swim as fast as I can to try and catch up.  It takes us a few minutes to get to the small beach that dots the side of the rocky island, and Kailani gets there a few seconds before me.  She runs out of the water and turns around to look at me with a teasing look in her eyes.

"What, you couldn't catch up?"

I roll my eyes.  "You seriously think I could've caught up to you after you jumped off first?"