Chapter One: V

Hey! Quick note: I will constantly use the term "Fae" for "fairy" and vice versa. Both of them mean fairy. Sorry for any confusion on that! Onto the story!

...

For fairies to survive in the mortal realm, they need to be believed in. Centuries have peacefully passed with fairy and mortal interactions. From brownies to godmothers, Gancanagh to goblins, and even pied pipers, all human interactions have been—in many ways—impactful. Yes, there are some stories of fairies that have done wrong, yet those are few and far between.

But now, with shrinking woods, dry riverbeds, and concrete jungles consuming the world, fairies have nowhere to live, nowhere to hide, and no one to believe in them. Many fairies have given up on humans. Only artists and musicians can see the true ethereal beings, but even then, the Fae can be overlooked because of drugs and alcohol. It is a bleak Earth the mortals now live on.

Yet one fairy refuses to give up on humans. He is a nobody, classified as V for he has various abilities, but never does he fit. He is not quite a seducer though his looks are magnetic, nor is he a guardian though he is quite loyal. His hair and skin changes color according to the seasons, yet he controls no elemental abilities that might make him a nature fairy. He's good with children but hates the concept of changelings. He's graceful and elegant, yet not enough to be useful in the fairy courts. No, V is a lost soul to the fairies; one who believes in humanity when others have given up on them. V needs humans to believe in them. They all do; every year more and more Fae Folk are consumed by Chaos, a creature that takes Fae and turns them into Daemons. Those dark creatures can travel between realms as they please, destroying all those around them.

At the start of the new year, the Royal Court holds a meeting to discuss Daemons and what can be done to fix it. Who can they send to the mortal realm to restore human's belief in them once more? Jin, the Fairy King, knows their only hope is V. With a wave of his hand, he calls the unique soul to his court, and instantly there he stands. His long lanky limbs are pale as fallen snow, his platinum blond hair frames his beautiful face in wispy tendrils. He blinks at the council with dreamy blue eyes, rubbing one of them sleepily. It takes him a moment to realize he's no longer in his tree hollow. Instead, he is standing in front of royalty in nothing but a white sleep shirt and leaf breeches. His eyes widen at King Jin's regal stare, his golden hair shining in the firelight.

"Your Majesty!" V squeaks, dropping to his knees and bowing as a class-less creature should, "I'm sorry! You summoned while I was sleeping..." Jin waves his hand, signaling V to stand. Jin smiles, his hard heart melting for the quirky creature. He's always had a soft spot for V, ever since he found him in the field of his birth with secrets too powerful for anyone besides the Fairy King to know... Those secrets and his innocent big eyes urge Jin to protect him, giving him a hollow when the rest of the court wanted to kick him out of the realm.

"Do not apologize, V, I know winters are difficult for you," Jin murmurs, his sweet voice bringing the fairy to his feet. He stares at the king, curiosity dancing in his baby blue eyes.

"How...how can I be of assistance, my king?" V asks, his deep voice dripping with curiosity. V can't help it. He's never been summoned by the king. Normally, their interactions were by chance, and often when V was being tormented by the other fairies. Jin would show up and stop them, always saying he just happened to be in the area.

"Well...V...I need a huge favor from you," Jin starts. Whispers flutter around the court like their wings, and instantly Jin dismisses them. He doesn't need V getting uncomfortable, and he can already see the boy's pearly white wings trembling in airy suspense. All of the court leaves except for one guard which Jin expected.