Chapter 38

Dr. Roberts and Green made all sorts of objections, despite the transfer documents the agents had presented at their grand entrance.

Apparently, they were going to give him hell because Grinley couldn't really arrest them for obstructing the summons. They were just concerned doctors looking out for their patient. Also, they seemed to be trying to "obstruct" on the behalf of the others in the room that could not.

The others seemed to sense that Grinley was just a hair-trigger away from speed-dialing whatever police contacts he had brought along for reinforcement. Because of that, they were doing their best to bite their tongues. I wasn't sure if North had thought that maybe his near outburst earlier was noted by Agent Grinley and was worried he had made things worse with his actions, but he was silent and still--his face unreadable.

Dr. Green put his hand in one of the deep pockets of his doctor's coat. The pocket glowed red briefly before he turned the screen back off.

I looked around, but no one seemed to have noticed as Dr. Roberts had started listing off a plethora of medical conditions that sounded somewhat made-up.

When the agents tried to take me without letting me change out of the gown, both Nathan and North had to be held back before Karl stepped in, forcibly gritting out several codes and violations against a suspect's basic human rights that made my head spin and Grinley to grudgingly back down. It was with a resigned air that he allowed me to get changed, though he very nearly threw another fit when he found out that I didn't have any clothes with me. The shorts and shirt I had borrowed were cut off on arrival.

Dr. Green assured him that clothes were on the way, two minutes--tops.

The room fell silent, Agent Grinley huffing and grumbling, his partner silent and still, North and Nathan still flanking and fuming, Karl propped against the wall and texting urgently, Dr. Roberts checking me over for any last minute prognoses, and Dr. Green multitasking between texting someone on his phone and winking at me every time he caught my eye.

Twelve minutes of that fun later, my salvation came in the form of a colorful, forceful whirlwind of cursing and swearing. His entrance actually knocked the door into the large agent, though it didn't budge the big guy one bit. The new arrival gave the man a glare, not the least bit intimidated though he had to be half his size.

His hair was just as unique as his brave personality. It was long brown in the front with two blonde streaks. His ears were pierced, and his blue crystalline eyes were captivating. His voice was much deeper than his body implied it could be, and it was soothing even as it spewed together a chorus of creative language that was making me blush just to hear it. Half of the things I didn't really know exactly what they meant, though the implications were obvious.

"You can just move your boulder-ass out of the way. I'm here with her clothes, stupid motherfucker." He skirted around the giant though the agent hadn't made an effort to step aside. The new person didn't let that get them down. He stepped around and took in the room at large before his eyes landed on me.

I got a good look at the colorful outfit I had only caught glimpses of before. He was wearing a neon orange t-shirt with a purple and black plaid shirt on top. His jeans were dark-washed, artfully worn, and ripped. And all over there were splatters and smudges of paint. "You better be fucking happy I got here as fast as I did, Doc. I was in the middle of painting class when you zapped the shit out of me with that red-fucking-line. Was this really a life or death situation?"

Dr. Green instantly put his hands up in a placating manner, obviously very familiar with the man and his personality. Grinley didn't pick up on that though.

"As fast as you did?" Grinley asked, beyond frustrated. "You were supposed to only take two minutes!"

"Two minutes?! TWO MINUTES?? The studio is at least a ten minute walk from here, you penguin-suit poser. And I had to run to the store, literally, to pick up coordinating outfits ranging in size for a girl whose personality I have no idea of except from what my dunderheaded brothers--that couldn't recognize trendy masterpiece from shitty disasterpiece--have been able to say through one of the most strict gag-orders I've heard of since Area fifty-fucking-one!" He punctuated his statement with an angry rattle of the plastic bags in his hands. "You're just lucky I was able to catch a cab at this time of the day, or I wouldn't've been here for another fucking who knows how many minutes!" He took a deep breath and stepped right up to Grinley. He was actually taller than him. "I don't like you," he said evenly, and then he stepped away as if he hadn't just told off a government agent.

He approached the bed, his eyes scanning me as he bit his lip. "Oi, your hair!" I went to pat at my hair, but he lightly slapped my hand away.

"Gabe," North growled out.

"Never mind that, we'll have you fixed right up," he said, rifling through the bag with purpose. "I'm Gabriel by the way."

I went to say my name, but then I remembered that I had been determined to not say my name. "Nice to meet you."

Gabriel paused for a moment to glance up at me, his eyes that startling shade of baby blue that made my breath hitch. He shook his head and went back to searching through the shopping bags, mumbling to himself. "You were off on her size, Doc. Fucking shit, everything I have is too big."

Dr. Green sent me a wink. "Maybe it was just my wishful thinking about her getting back to a healthy weight."

I was starting to understand that if I didn't want to be blushing constantly around the doctor, it would be best to ignore, avoid eye contact, and tune him out--which was a lot easier said than done.

"Yes, well, your wishful thinking has fucked up all my carefully laid plans. Do you have a favorite color?"

It took me a few embarrassing seconds to realize that question had been directed at me. I almost went to say that it was black. Black was pretty much the only thing I had been allowed to wear unless there was a specific reason not to. It was easier to blend in with colors that were neutral and black was the best at hiding any blood or dirt or whatever else might get on it.

But I was Free-Sang now. Free-Sang was determined. Did she really still need to blend in as well? Karl said they'd try to throw me in a cell to be forgotten. Looking over Gabriel's bright outfit, I knew that he was not a person easily forgotten. I pushed my bottom lip in, debating.

"Pink," I said, resolute in my heavy decision. It felt like turning a new leaf, starting a new school, wiping the slate clean. It felt like much more than just a clothing choice. I nodded to myself once more, confident I had made the right choice, and looked up.

Gabriel had been staring at me, and I got the strangest feeling that he knew my decision wasn't just about a clothing choice. He flashed me a grin that was blindingly brilliant, pulling a matching smile from myself. He coughed a bit and cleared his throat. "And what a perfect fucking color that is. Unfortunately, I don't have any pink things with me right now, but I'll stock up for the future. How about coral instead?"

He held up an item that looked pink to me. Maybe a mix between pink and orange? Really, it looked pink. I nodded my head.

"Alright, now let's..." he trailed off. He turned to address the room at large. "Oi, are you motherfuckers really going to stand there gawking at her like free entertainment? Don't answer that. Out! Out!!"

Surprisingly, North and Nathan seemed to be ready to leave without putting up much of a fuss. North knew his name when he'd growled at him earlier, but they both must know him really well. Were they the brothers Gabriel had mentioned when he talked about the gag-order?

Agent Grinley gave the most fuss, but even he caved when Gabriel sent him a glare. "You have five minutes before I come in and get her, no matter what state of dress or undress she is in."

The large agent with him just pulled Grinley out before he could say anything more that would make Karl take civil action against him. The room nearly cleared out instantly once they were gone.

"My name's Sang," I whispered, toning my voice down in the sudden silence.