16) Aftermath

Peter fluttered his eyes as the sun glared upon his laid-out body. The pain in his ribs still throbbing throughout his torso. He found he was lying down in the back alley of the buildings that had caught fire. He sighed in relief knowing that he was safe, and that May wouldn't have to be so worried.

His vision was becoming clearer with every second, and he hoped that the figure that had pulled him out of the fire was standing next to him or above him. However, he did not see the figure, but instead saw two black uniformed gentlemen racing down the alley to his aid. Peter rolled over onto his knees gradually came to his feet. One of the officer's arms tucked under Peter's left arm to help.

"You alright Spider-Man?" his partner asked the beaten hero.

Peter moaned, feeling the bruises on his face as his flexed his facial features, "I think so." He took a couple of breathes, searching his surroundings for a glimpse of the mysterious figure that had helped him. But still, he found nothing.

He turned his attention back to the officers behind him, "Is everyone o.k.?" he asked.

The two gentlemen looked at each other for a moment, and Peter's heart sank. He knew it. He had missed someone, and it was entirely his fault. And there's nothing he can do to bring them back. Then the officer that helped him up gave him a warm smile and assured him that everyone was o.k. Peter was relieved to hear those words come out of the officer's mouth. "Look Spidey," the officer continued, "we can take care of it from here. Go enjoy the rest of your day."

Peter nodded and jumped onto the side of the building he was facing. Before climbing up, he turned back to the officers with a friendly salute. "Thank you officers," he said with earnest, "have a good one." Spider-Man turned back toward his wall and made his ascent.

He reached the edge of the roof and leapt across the alley to the opposing roof and walked to the center. He pulled out his phone to call his aunt to tell her that he was fine. It didn't take long before she answered.

May- Peter are you o.k? I heard the explosion and figured you would rush to the scene.

"Yeah, I'm o.k," he moaned as he braced his rib cage, "I just took a couple hard ones."

May- Is everyone else ok?

"For the most part, yeah."

May- The news station said the assholes that did it got away.

"Yep, that's what happened," he said in an annoyed voice. He walked toward the other side of the roof, where he could see the destruction done by the bomb.

May- Are you sure you're o.k.? You sound really hurt.

I DID A PHYSICAL ANALYSIS FOR YOU PETER, Karen's voice interrupted, IT APPEARS THAT THE PAIN IN YOUR RIB IS ONLY A SMALL FRACTURE, AND IS TREATABLE BY APPLYING PRESSURE, ICE, AND A FEW DAYS REST.

"Don't worry about it, my suit lady said its easily treatable. I'll be home soon ok."

May- Alright sweetie, I love you, be safe.

"I will, I love you too." With that, he put his phone into his back pocket and observed the people below him. Paramedics and police officers were setting perimeters and instructing others where to go. Firefighters were bravely entering the damaged buildings and putting out the remaining flames. He searched through the crowd, making sure everyone was alright and hoping nothing unusual stood out.

Near the street corner, he saw Robbie asking questions and taking notes from those that witnessed the explosion or anybody that had been inside when it went off. Peter then remembered Robbie's offer and how he missed the opportunity to tell May about it. It didn't bother him too much really, it would be much more rewarding to tell her in person anyway. The thought of the job was still fresh in his head, and he thought it would be a good idea to snap a couple pictures to send to Robbie. With his phone, he took a couple of pictures of the people, the smoke coming out of the building, and some of the police and paramedic activity.