Part Thirty Three- Masks Behind Masks

George's POV 

I looked closely at Malfoy, both wanting him to leave and wanting him to stay. We did have many interests that were similar. Like Flare, and, well, uh... 

Okay, we almost have nothing in common, but I can understand why Flare fell for him and me. We both were tall. Nope, Draco is a little on the shorter side like Harry. We were both well educated. Yeah, right. I dropped out in my final year and he mastered the Dark Arts. We both craved revenge. Who am I kidding? Me, crave revenge? More like stop Flare from craving it. 

So, Draco and I were total opposites. Like North Pole, South Pole, nothing the same except one thing. And it ticked me off that I couldn't figure out why Malfoy of all people. 

He was bossy and spoiled and money hungry and power hungry and- 

I remember Flare at the end of the school year before the wedding. She had said something about her being a bargaining chip for Draco. Technically, he wasn't power hungry either. 

Frustrating. 

Just like Flare was. 

My teeth grounded together into a grimace. I watched as Malfoy kept avoiding my gaze as if he was scared. Once again, coward shot through my mind, but I dismissed it swiftly. After all, Flare was his. 

"Should I start or you?" Draco asked suddenly. I pushed back from where I sat on the matching chair and dipped my head, allowing him to speak first. Better he talks first before I ranted. 

I noticed how cold his gray eyes were once again, and snickered behind my hand. Just. Like. Flare. 

"I never meant for all of this to happen." He coughed out slowly as if he was holding back. "Especially us hooking up." 

"You sure hooked up all right." I growled softly and got a dirty look. 

"It doesn't help when I say she kissed me first, right?" I shook my head and he continued. "I never wanted any of this. You know my father by reputation and that's the truth. He did this to me." 

I was suddenly serious as I counted all the bruises on his face. No one should go through that. "Why didn't you run? Flare said that she asked you to come away with her." 

Draco either noticed my change in tone and figured that it was normal or didn't notice it. He shrugged. "My mother was born a Black. In fact, she's Flare's Dad's second cousin once removed. In a way, we're related." 

I gave him a sharper tone. "Isn't that incest?" 

He hesitated for a moment. "I think it goes up to first cousins. We would be third cousins, once or twice removed. I hope not." 

"And if it is?" 

"I'm screwed." He sighed heavily. "Already am. Come on George, look at me. I messed things up with Flare. I ran away from my own family and family to be. And I'm talking to a Weasley." 

Ouch. "Thanks bud." I said sarcastically. "You're so bright!" 

Draco shot me another look. "It's bad enough that I'm almost a dad and I can't raise the damn child." 

That caught me off guard. "What, wait?" 

He glared at me as if I was stupid. "Think about it for a moment. I'll be on the run for a long time before I could settle anywhere, if I will be able to. I'm not father material. I'm freaking out inside because I still can't believe it even happened. I'm branded for life, so every single bloody person will think this child will end up spoiled, rich and a Death Eater. Ask me if I liked being forced in. It's not fun. Everyone will tear Flare down because of me, and if I want her protected, I need to leave her. That's where you come in." 

My mind processed this. He really was admitting stuff to me. Mind equal blown. 

"Draco, Flare loves you." I started slowly. "Are you just going to break her heart?" 

"The whole time I was with her, she worried about you. I am thinking even though she loves me and will miss me, she'll have you to pull through. That is, if you would be willing. After all you weren't there when she was caught, or when she needed you the most." 

I bristled at his challenge. "What are you thinking, Malfoy? I raise the kid as my own?" 

"That's exactly what I want, Weaselby. You're the better choice. It'll have a family that will love it." 

I think I looked like a fish right then. My mouth hung open and I gaped at him.  

Draco continued, "You'll the three of us know. If I manage to settle down, I'll be the rather mysterious uncle, not the perfect father." 

"Are you sure about this?" I questioned, finding my voice again. "You need to be positive about this." 

"I am. Do you want this in writing? In blood?" He looked to sad to be lying. "I can't do this George. I need you're help. Will you help?" 

"The child will never know that you are its father." I warned. 

Draco sighed again. "I know." 

"You are positive?" 

"Yes." 

I sat there, watching him through different eyes than before. I finally understood what Flare saw in him. She always saw what was behind his cold barrier, and that's what she loved, because behind that barrier was a sensitive young boy who hasn't tasted life yet. She saw his future potential and the protectiveness he possesses. It was hard for him to even let Flare go. 

I caved. "I promise on one condition." 

Draco looked at me. "What?" 

"Promise me that you will never hurt Flare after this. I will keep this secret, only if you promise." 

"The only way to do that-" Draco paused. 

I shook my head. "Draco. No, there are other way other than leaving forever." 

"How!" He snapped suddenly. "How else can I protect her?" 

"I didn't say protect, I said never hurt her." 

"I'll be running anyway. Don't know when I'll be back." He whispered. "Then I will come see her." 

I gave him a sharp nod. Draco heaved himself up off the couch. 

"Hey-" 

"I'll be fine. Give Flare my love." 

"Draco-" 

Then he was gone. 

I put my head in my hands. What the blazing hell did I just do?