Courtney ✨

All my thoughts shattered back to reality when the bell rung.

What was I saying? Oh! Right!

I turned around to face my class of first grade students. I smiled at them and signaled them to head out the door in a line. "Y'all are dismisses to recess," I said with a smile that I hoped covered my worry.

I watched as the students pushed through each other to get outside, giggling and reuniting with their friends. I turned to grab my keys and phone and followed the children.

I stood against the wall and began to think once again about my family. I didn't want to tell Jezelle now. What if she does the same thing she did as a child? Our family doesn't even know, so she shouldn't either!

But, what if she finds out some other way? The hard way? I don't want her to be in pain, I should just tell her, right? But what if-

"Mrs. Smallbone?"

I was snapped back into reality by an innocent voice. I looked down and saw one of my students, Samuel, who we called Sammy. I smiled at him and he responded with a small smile and small flowers he found near the playground.

"Who are those for?" I asked kneeling down. He pushed them closer to me, "For you Mrs. Smallbone!"

In my hand he placed two faint yellow flowers. I smiled at him to show my gratitude, "Thank you, Sammy." He smiled and replied, "You kept zoning out during class, I thought you needed something to feel better." He smiled once again, then ran off to play on the playground.

I leaned back on the wall and sighed. I tried telling myself to focus on work.

But I couldn't. I couldn't focus knowing that my daughter was closer and closer to knowing the truth. The truth that will harm her.

Hello everyone! My goodness I finally posted 😂 but anyways! Thank you for reading!! I know these chapters have been boring but please bare with me!

It's always calm before a storm 😏

But!! Thank you once again for waiting so long and I'm currently working on the next chapter :)

Thank you and God bless!

- j