Prologue- Part 2

"Summer!" Dana exclaimed, throwing her arms around her friend.

Summer hugged her back. "Hey, Dana, we missed you so much!" Her eyes followed Jesse as he took Dana's luggage to her room.

"What's been going on while I was gone? Jesse got married?! You didn't tell me anything on the phone. What's she like? I want all the details!" Dana grabbed Summer's arm and dragged her to the couch.

Summer laughed. "Slow down."

"This is so ... I don't know... exciting...disturbing..." Dana frowned as she thought it over.

Jesse was married. In one second, her life suddenly changed. No longer was it her and Jesse. It was her, Jesse, and the wife.

So much for their plans of moving into Jesse's house together. So much for late night movie nights with beer and pizza. Now, he'd be with his wife and God, probably with kids. She shook her head in disbelief.

"How is she?" Jesse asked, coming into the room looking at Dana's pale face.

"Still in shock," Summer told him. Jesse squatted in front of Dana and took her hands.

"You okay?" he asked. Dana nodded but only stared at him.

Jesse glanced over at Summer before squeezing Dana's hands.  "We didn't tell you over the phone because we wanted to tell you in person. And given your reaction I'm glad we waited."

"But why, Jess? Why Vegas? Why so soon? Couldn't you have done a normal wedding? With, like maybe, more than what, a month or two of dating the girl?!"

Dana stood up and paced the floor for a couple seconds before spinning to face him with a glare. "And frankly, I am a bit insulted you couldn't wait until I got back to get married. We always said we would be in each other's weddings. But, Jess, I really wouldn't have cared about being in the wedding as long as I could have been there. Why wasn't I there, Jesse? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm really sorry, Dane. We planned on waiting. We were going to wait, honest." He emphasised as she sent him a disbelieving look. He grabbed her hand and pulled her back to sit on the couch again.

"We were planning on getting married at the house in the garden, have you as a joint best woman/maid of honor. But... we're having a baby, Dana, and we really wanted to get married right away. This is a small town, people talk. I didn't want anyone thinking badly of us or the baby. And we couldn't ask you to come back while you were in Italy working so hard towards the promotion."

"Oh, my God!" Dana squealed, her eyes filled with tears. She covered her mouth with both hands. "A baby, Jess?"

He nodded. Jesse let go of Dana and took Summer's hand. "Um..."

Summer squeezed his hand in a show of support. Jesse nodded to her.

"Dana," Summer said, turning to her.

Dana looked from Jesse back to Summer. Dana saw the way they were looking at each other with so much love in their eyes, a silly grin starting on each of their faces. Dana gasped and quickly looked down at Summer's left hand.

"Holy shit!" Dana yelled, jumped up and laughed. She grabbed Summer and pulled her up into a hug. "It's you?! Oh, my God, that's so freaking awesome!"

"God, I'm glad that's over," Jesse said, walking to the kitchen.

"It's not over, you jerk," Dana said, grabbing him and hugging him as well. "I'm so happy for you two."

"Can I get a beer now?"

"Yes. And get me one too. We need to celebrate," Dana told him.

Jesse pulled a beer out of the refrigerator and tossed it to her. Just like he always did. Just like nothing had changed.

"Honey," He said walking over to Summer and handed her a ginger ale.

"Thanks, sweetie," she said, kissing his cheek and sat down on the couch.

"Ugh, this is too weird," Dana said shaking her head. She opened the beer and took a big gulp.

"You'll get used to it. I sure did," Jesse told her, sitting down on the couch putting an arm around his wife.

"You guys, I'm really happy for you. I really am. But, I think I just need a minute to myself, you mind?" she asked, walking towards her room, not waiting for an answer.

She closed her door and leaned her head against it and breathed.

Summer and Jesse. She had always suspected they liked each other over the years. It had even been her plan for Summer to come to stay with Jesse while she was away.

Dana had hoped something would happen between them. She loved them both and thought it would be great for them to become a couple. A couple.

But, God, to suddenly become husband and wife and to be having a baby? All within the three months that she was gone? It was hard for her to deal with. Especially, since they hadn't waited for her to come back home. That really hurt though she could understand why they had done so after finding out they were pregnant.

Dana sat down on the bed and hugged her pillow. She was happy for them. She was. It was just going to take more than the thirty minutes that had passed to accept it. And to come to terms with her being alone again.

*******************************

"Think she'll be okay?" Summer asked him.

"She'll be fine. I think we just hurt her feelings not inviting her to the wedding. We expected that. You know how our families reacted when we told them the news. They were hurt as well. But it was the right thing to do and they knew it, and understood why we did it.

First of all, I didn't want anyone talking smack about me knocking you up or thinking badly about our kid because of it.

And second, I wanted our wedding to be about the three of us. Not anyone else. Though I love my family, it would have all been about some big wedding and reception that they orchestrated for us. Our way was about you, me, and our little tadpole," he said, placing his hand gently on her stomach.

Summer nodded. "I know you're right. I just feel really bad Dana wasn't there. I would have liked for her to have been. Though I loved it was just you, me, and our baby also."

Jesse frowned. "Dana was working. We couldn't ask her to come home from Italy and chance her big promotion she's been working so hard to achieve."

"I know, Jess. But she's so upset with us now..." Summer's eyes teared up. "She's my best friend." Jesse sent her a look. "Correction- our best friend and we hurt her."

"Maybe I should go talk to her," Jesse said, starting to get up.

"I think she needs a little time. Why don't you wait a bit?"

Jesse sat back and nodded. He ran a hand over her stomach again. "Are you feeling better? Is the baby okay?"

"We're both fine," Summer said, placing her hand over his. "I just wish Dana was."