Chapter Five

Friday, after work, Dana sat on the couch watching t.v, trying to decide what to order for dinner.

The commercials she was watching were all tempting and she couldn't decide what she wanted.

A knock on the door pulled her off the couch. She opened the door to see Colt standing in her doorway.

"Back so soon?" Dana asked, planting a smile on her face, waiting for the fight.

"Hungry?"

"Starved, but..."

"Come on then," Colt took a step down the stairs, looking up to her as if waiting for her to follow.

"Where are we going?" she demanded.

"Dinner."

"Dinner?" Dana repeated confused.

"Yeah, you know the meal that comes after lunch?"

"You're going to take me to dinner," she said slowly, trying to comprehend the words.

"Yeah," Colt told her as she was staring at him blankly. He shrugged. "Hey, I can write it off as a business expense."

Dana still didn't move. Colt sighed. "Besides, I got your new drawings in the car."

"What makes you think I don't have any plans for dinner?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Didn't you and..." he gestured with his hand in the air as if searching for the name, "...what's his face... break up?"

Dana raised an eyebrow. "What's his face?"

"What was it..." Colt snapped his fingers, "Jeffrey." He purposely said the wrong name. He knew full well the lowlife's name, but he refused to say it.

J.R, Jesse's dad, had to hold both Colt and Jesse each down when they had found out what had happened.

Joanne, Jesse's mom, hid Colt's car keys for the whole night. And she had only gotten a hold of his keys while he was having another damn panic attack.

He had gotten so worked up about what that a-hole had done to Dana he hadn't been able to breathe.

J.R told them it was Dana's life and shitty things sometimes happened to good people. But Dana wouldn't want them to make things any worse by beating up the guy.

Colt would have beaten up the slimebag too. Once he had gotten his breathing back in order, he had taken a taxi around two a.m to the dipwad's place, but Jesse had followed him and dragged him back without his parents knowing they had left.

Jesse had calmed down at that point and had realized his folks were right about how Dana wouldn't want them to beat the guy up. Dana wasn't a violent person. She had a temper, but she would never hurt anyone.

Colt, on the otherhand, was raised with violence and if he had to use it in order to protect her, like he had...

"Jeremy," she corrected.

Colt clenched his fists, but pushed the memories away. "Yeah. That was it."

"Yes, we did."

He rubbed his hands together. "Well, we going to eat or what?"

"Ugh," she groaned, frustrated that she didn't know how to react to his invitation. She walked into the kitchen to get her purse.

Colt eyed her thin sundress as she came back to the door. "Better bring a sweater, it's getting chilly."

"I'm fine," she said annoyed and shut the door behind her.

"O-kay..." he muttered, walking down the stairs.

"Why are you taking me to dinner again?" she asked as they walked through the parking lot.

"One, because I have your drawings. Two, because I'm hungry," he said, walking towards a black Mercedes Benz. He opened the passenger seat.

"This is yours?" she demanded.

"Yeah. Want to see the registration?" he asked sarcastically.

Dana gave him a dirty look and slid into the seat. He shut the door behind her and got in the driver's side.

"Where's your truck?" She asked pulling down the shade, opening the mirror, and closing it again.

"Home. That's for construction. This is for everything else."

"I figured you used it all the time," she replied, putting on her seatbelt.

"Why's that?" he asked, strapping himself in.

She shrugged. "I don't know." She glance over at him. "The way you dress, I guess."

Colt looked down at his suit and tie. "How do I look?"

"Okay. Okay," she put up her hands, conceding his point.

"I guess you only see me hanging with Jesse. Getting all dirty, construction stuff all over me and all, huh?" he said amused.

"Yeah, I guess," she said, crossing her arms.

They drove for a few minutes in silence. "I like your Mustang," he said to try to make conversation.

"Yeah, it's good," she answered with a shrug.

Colt sighed, it was going to be a long night.