Chapter Twenty

"Buddy," Colt called, opening the door, and Dana followed him.

He turned on the lights, setting his keys on a table by the door. Buddy came down the stairs yawning and stretching. "Lazy lump," Colt told him.

He went to the back sliding door and waited for Buddy to make his way outside. "Takes him a while to wake up," Colt said, sliding the door shut. He turned to her, "Coffee?"

"Sure," Dana replied, slipping off her jacket and laying it across the back of the gray plush couch.

She followed him into the kitchen. The floor was yellow as well as the cabinets and counters.

A small round table was in the left corner of the room with two chairs. There was a door behind it leading to the driveway.

On a peg next to the door was a yellow fireman jacket and hat.

"Expecting a fire?" Dana giggled at the unexpected sight, picked up the helmet, and placed it on her head.

Colt laughed seeing her in it. "I was a volunteer firefighter."

"Really?" she asked surprised.

He filled the coffee maker with beans. "Another little-known fact about Colt James."

"So, you don't do it anymore?" Dana asked, slipping on the jacket.

Colt tried not to chuckle at the sight Dana made in his fireman jacket. It was huge on her but she looked adorable. "No. I had to resign because they found out about...the attacks. They didn't want to risk my having one while on a rescue. I keep forgetting to put that stuff away."

"How come you did it in the first place?" She asked, taking off the jacket and hanging it back up.

He leaned against the counter. "Because I wanted to do something to make a difference," he answered simply.

"Hmm...interesting." She took off the helmet and set it back on its peg.

Colt raised an eyebrow and chuckled."Interesting?"

"I'm beginning to see your inner psyche," Dana held up her index finger, moved it in a circle directed at his head.

Colt's smile faded. "That's a pretty scary place."

"Oh, I don't know. I think you like to pretend it is. But really..." she said, walking over to him. "I think you're a big softie underneath," Dana told him, poking him in the chest with the same finger.

Colt laughed."You think?" he grabbed her finger and pulled her closer.

"Yes, I do," she said challengingly while looking him in the eye. Her eyes dropped to his lips and she licked hers.

His breath hitched. "You really have no clue at all about me, do you?" he asked, his eyes narrowing as he looked down at her.

Dana took another step closer. "I'd like to get to know you better," she answered, raising her chin.

"How much better?" he asked intrigued.

"All the way," she told him, putting a hand on his chest.

"Dana..."

She sighed. "Colt, you need to trust me. I want to be your friend, but if you're not willing to open up to me..."

Colt ran a hand through his hair. "Okay. What do you want to know?"

Dana gently rubbed her hand up and down his chest. "Would you tell me about your scars? And I mean the real story. Please?"

"You would have to start with that," he groaned and then pinched the bridge if his nose.