41

I couldn’t decide what to wear to Gemma’s drinks. I wasn’t sure why I had the hardest time tonight deciding on something as simple as a dress but I didn’t like anything I tried on. Finally, after trying on every dress in my closet I settled on a bright blue open back dress and some black heels. It was simple and easy and flattering. I added a statement necklace and put on a coat of lipstick before leaving my flat and hailing a taxi.

Gemma had decided to have her drinks at a lounge down by St. Katherine’s Docks along the Thames and when I approached the venue, I saw why she chose it. It was set away from the river slightly, but had access to the harbor and the Tower of London and Tower Bridge could be easily seen from the front of the venue. I stared at the site of the monuments all lit up before I felt a hand around my waist.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” A deep voice said. Harry.

I turned around. “Yes, it is. It makes me remember why I love London so much.”

“Me too.”

He glanced around nervously before fumbling in his pocket for something. “I got you something,” he said and pulled out a small box. It looked like a ring box.

I stared at him. “Please do not tell me that is what I think that is.”

He glanced down at the box then up at the shocked look on my face. “Oh, no. It’s not an engagement ring. I don’t want to steal the spotlight from Gemma tonight.” He was teasing me.

“Thank god. I would have said no anyway.” I was lying though. If he were going to propose to me with the sights in the background alongside the river Thames, I would have happily said yes without a doubt.

He laughed. “Liar. I saw your eyes widen. Anyway, I saw these and thought of how perfect they would look on you. But if you don’t like them, I can return them and get something else.”

I took the box he handed me and opened it to find ‘Cartier’ printed on the top inside of the box. On display was a pair of white diamond teardrop earrings. They sparkled off the lights outside of the venue and I couldn’t believe how beautiful they were.

“Harry, thank you!” I wrapped my arms around him. “They’re gorgeous.”

“Don’t say anything more. I told you I would prove myself to you,” he whispered in my ear and I felt chills down my spine as his minty breath hit my neck.

I pulled back from him. “Harry, you can’t buy my affection if that’s what you’re trying to do.” I closed the box and handed them back to him.

He pushed the box back into my hand. “I’m not buying your affection. I’m not that stupid, Georgia. Give me a little credit. I know that in all the years we’ve been friends, my money had never impressed you or meant anything to you. Christ, how many times do you insist we visit McDonald’s just so you can prove your point that money isn’t everything?”

I bit my lip but then laughed as he pointed out my guilty pleasure. “Okay, good. I might have to get drunk McDonald’s tonight,” I said.

“And I will accompany you,” he said.

I pulled my phone out to check the time. “We better go inside,” I said.

“Wait, put your earrings on. They’ll look even better on, I promise. But I would love nothing more than to see you in only the earrings.” He pressed a kiss to my cheek.

I felt a tinge between my legs and instantly got turned on at his suggestion but I needed to focus. Tonight was about Gemma. I opened the box and put the earrings on and admired myself in the reflection before we entered the venue and headed to the private room she had booked upstairs.