Chapter Nine- A New Revelation

Waking up in this house yet again was such a strange experience. I'd done it before, but it's weird to be here two nights in a row since it wasn't my house. It's been a very long time since I've stayed in other people's houses. Starting out, that's all I could do. But once I was able to get my own place, I pretty much stayed there, especially since I tended to work by myself. 

However, if Ryan was going to offer me a place to stay that was far nicer than mine, I wasn't going to argue. I did need to get some more clothes though. 

Upon walking downstairs, I find Ryan sitting at the counter, eating breakfast. He mumbles good morning and I return it with a smile, rummaging around in the fridge of something to eat. I pull out a gallon jug of apple juice, because everyone who lives here is a child. 

"Where's everyone else?" I ask. It's fairly late in the morning, and I figured they'd be up and about by now, being far more used to operating like that than I am. 

"They're at their own houses, seeing their girlfriends or wives since we have a few days off." 

"Oh, they have significant others? That's nice, that never worked out well for me." Ryan looked surprised for a moment, but it faded as he laughed slightly. 

"Really? Why's that?" I rolled my eyes. Relationships didn't meld well with this job, and they certainly didn't with me. 

"I've never been all that many serious relationships. Everyone I've ever dated that I told them what I do always wanted me to get out if the business because it 'wasn't good for me' or 'I wasn't cut out for that life'. I hated hearing that, so I just quit dating after a while." I didn't miss it either, not that much. I'd made a few friends since those days and I appreciated them far more than I ever did those people. Ryan nodded, deep in thought. What I would give to be a mind reader. 

"What about you, you hiding any girlfriends anywhere," I said, laughing a bit.  He shook his head, laughing as well. 

"Yeah right. I haven't dated anyone in years, especially not seriously," Ryan responded as he stood up and put his plate in the sink. I took a sip of my juice. That was reasonable, though slightly surprising. I figured he of all people would have a significant other, but to each their own. 

"By the way, Ryan, do you mind taking me to my house so I can get some stuff, or I can just stay there." 

"I don't mind you staying here, especially given the state of your house. We all live here most days because it's easiest, and I don't mind you doing that either." I nodded and we agreed to drive to my house fairly close to here, one of the better ones where I keep most of my stuff that I like. All I had to do was get some clothes and some of my gear, so this would be pretty easy, right?

Right?

-- -- 

We pulled up to my house and got out and walked to the door as Ryan looked around outside. I went inside and gathered up everything I thought I needed and stuffed it into a duffle bag. There wasn't a whole lot that I needed, but it still took me a while. This house was slightly messier than my other one, and definitely messier than Ryan's house. It was difficult finding clothes and guns strewn about through they house, but I found everything I'd set out to find eventually. 

I walked outside to see Ryan standing next to my car on the carport, staring at it. 

"Ryan? You ready?" He didn't answer for a moment, but eventually he turned and looked at me.

"That's....your...car?" Ryan asked, slightly stunned. I could feel myself turning red. It was pretty old; it was probably due several shop visits I was too paranoid to take up. It wasn't great, and it wasn't that reliable, but it was nice? Maybe?