Chapter Five

Josh's eyes slowly open as he tries to adjust to the blinding light of the room. He looks around the room and realizes that he has no idea where he is or how he got here. He's struggling to breathe because there are tubes in his throat, nose, and mouth. Realizing that he's in a hospital but he doesn't have any recollection of how he got here, he lifts his arms and feels them ache due to lack of use. His muscles feel stiff as he tries to find the button that will call the nurse. He finds it attached to the side of the bed and begins pressing it urgently.

Josh barely has time to put his hand back down next to his body before a nurse comes running into the room. She shuts off the nurse call and begins puttering around him as she extracts the tube from down his throat and begins adjusting machines and devices that are connected to him. Josh glances down at his arm and sees a series of cuts and what he knows is described as road rash. He's seen on people who have fallen off their bikes or skateboards and he briefly wonders if he ended up here due to an accident.

The nurse leaves and comes back with a small cup of water and with a man that he can only assume is the doctor. Dr. Irwin, as Josh has learn is the guy's name, messes around with a small computer system while the nurse changes his IV bag. Josh waits impatiently and blurts, "Why am I here?"

"Well, Mr. Dun-"

"Who the fuck is Mr. Dun?" Josh interrupts.

Josh looks at the doctor expectantly and notices the ways his eyes widen, only slightly, while the nurse behind him is completely frozen.

"What?" Josh asks, getting nervous.

~~~

Amnesia. An hour of tests and questions and Dr. Irwin tells him that he has amnesia. They don't know if he'll get his memory back or what of his life memories are missing, but  since he didn't even remember his own name they're worried that it's all gone. They tell him he's had a visitor the other day and that they'll try calling him later in the evening.

Josh refuses anything from the nurses and his doctor for the next couple hours so he can wrap his head around the fact that this morning he woke up in a hospital with no recollection of who he is or how he got here. He was told that he's been there a week but only one person has come to see him...once. Josh doesn't know who he is, but he has a feeling that he's not worthy of much if nobody cared about him being in an accident.

Spending hours in his room with the windows covered, he sits in a bit of darkness, the hospital refuses to turn off the lights, so the harsh light from the hallway is seeping under his door and casting light and shadows throughout his room. Before the doctor left, Josh made him pull the curtain that go around his bed, so he's shielded from the door and anyone who tries to enter his room.

He wills himself to remember the accident and to remember anything he can about himself but nothing is coming to him. He tries not to cry at the fact he has no idea who he is besides what the doctor has told him.

~~~

Josh doesn't get to keep his wish of being left alone for long, because a few hours later a nurse comes in, she turns on the lights and pulls the curtain back. Josh scowls at her for her rude behavior, but rolls over onto his back so she can check his blood pressure and whatever else it is she wants from him.

She's checking his pulse when his door is swinging open to reveal a brunette male. He stops a few feet from the door with wide eyes and doesn't look like he was expecting to see Josh or anyone else in this room.

"Who the hell are you?" Josh demands when the stranger just stands there and stares for a few moments.

The man doesn't say anything but continues to stare with his mouth wide open. The nurse glances up and checks to see who has entered the room.