Chapter Eleven

Josh gets a phone call in the middle of the afternoon, Michael is just waking up from his nap, sitting on the couch, rubbing at his eyes when the house phone begins ringing. It's the first time the phone has rang and it hasn't been Tyler calling to check on Michael and Josh, but the ID doesn't say Joseph, instead it says the name of the school that he knows Gerard and Brendon go to. He struggles with the decision on whether or not he should answer it, because would Tyler want him answering the phone for the boys' school when he doesn't remember any information to give them, but as the shrill ring continues to penetrate the silence of the house Josh finds himself reaching out and pressing the talk button before pressing the receiver to his ear.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Sheila Hicks, the principal at Bagley Elementary and I'm calling to try and get in touch with Mr. Joseph about his son, Gerard."

Josh really wishes the woman would have said a name, because there are two Mr. Joseph's and he feels little annoyed with the principal for assuming there was only one father in the household. Technically Josh is also a Mr. Joseph; it's not just Tyler. "Yes, this is Mr. Joseph, I'm Gerard's father, is everything okay?"

"Well, yes, everything is fine, but there was a bit of a commotion during Gerard's recess time, and I was wondering if you could come down here as soon as possible so we talk about what happened. Gerard is currently in the nurse's' office getting ice for a black eye, but I assure you that he is okay. He's going to be spending the rest of the school day in the administrative office, right outside of my door," Ms. Hicks explains.

"I—well, um," Josh pauses, realizing that he has no way of actually getting to the school to find out what happened to Gerard. The principal says he has a black eye, but she's calm, and it doesn't sound like there is any kind of damages that he should be worried about. Josh takes a deep breath and says, "I can be down there shortly, or my husband can. We'll be down there shortly."

Josh hangs up the phone, and immediately dials the number from the notepad next to the phone that lists Tyler's cell and work phone. He tries Tyler's cell phone first, and listens as it rings on and on, going to voicemail every time he calls. He tries the work phone next, it immediately connecting to voicemail without any signs of a ring. And Josh groans, because someone is needed at school, but Josh has no way of getting there. He doesn't even know where Bagley Elementary is, but someone needs to go to Gerard's school and Tyler doesn't seem to want to answer the phone anytime soon.

Josh tries to think of someone that can help them, anyone, and that's when he remembers the older woman living in the house next door, Mrs. Hamilton. Tyler had explained to him that she would be able to help if he needed it with Michael so maybe she can help with Gerard.

"Right," Josh mutters to himself, setting the phone back down and making his way into the living room where Michael is lying on his back, staring at the ceiling. He startles when he sees Josh, sitting up immediately and staring at him with wide eyes. "Michael, we have to go and talk to Gerard's school. I know you don't want to be around me, but I can't leave you alone so will you please go with me?"

Michael doesn't say anything, and Josh takes his silence as affirmation that he'll go. Josh moves quickly, grabbing a pair of Michael's shoes from next to the door, slipping them onto Michael's feet before picking up the child and making his way towards the neighbors house.

~~~

It takes Mrs. Hamilton almost twenty minutes to get them to Gerard and Brendon's school, which in retrospect probably could have gone shorter if Josh had just walked. The woman had spent most of the trip breaking for stop lights and waiting for all cars around the area to take turns until they were all gone. She had told Josh several times that she never drives this slow but with a child in the car you can never be too cautious.