Chapter 8

They had arrived at the ball. Faces stared at Remy and Victoria as they made their way into the grand room. People wanted to know more of the new royalty in town. They were welcomed warmly with a melody of applause.
Tremé was the first to greet the guests, with a fresh bourbon in hand.
"Welcome to the French Quarter! The LaValle family is quite reveled in this part of the country." He said as he handed glass to Remy, motioning him to raise it. Openly taking the glass Remy nodded and held it up.
"To the LaValles!" Shouted Tremé. The crowd reciprocated and they all drank.
Victoria was invited to sit by one of the women when something caught her eye. Across the room stood a woman, petite with long flowing blonde hair. She was wearing a white dress that fit her body at every angle. She was stunning. Victoria sat down at the table not realizing she had been staring. The woman that asked her to sit noticed and said, "That is Madame Lunette Devereux. She is self-made elite who knows how to command attention."
She knew how to command attention alright. Victoria thought as she crossed one leg over the other and glanced back over to Lunette.
Their gazes met and Lunette held onto Victoria's eyes. Lunette's blue eyes pierced through her like a bullet from a gun. Thoughts danced in her brain that had never before. She'd never felt an instant connection to someone like that before and it struck her.
Victoria looked away and grabbed a glass of water off the table. Her hands shook as she gulped down each drop.
                                      ...
Stunned by the encounter Lunette was curious. She'd had many women look at her lustfully but never for more than a moment. This woman, Victoria LaValle, what was it about her? Other than being uncharacteristically beautiful, Lunette didn't know a thing about her. Never being shy, she made her way over to Victoria's table.